What's new

Subwoofer for HT use - need recommendations (1 Viewer)

Carlo S

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanting some input from others here to recommend me a Subwoofer for HT use (I am under the impression where some subs are better for music than HT, and vice versa)

I am after a reasonable subwoofer, not too expensive, (i live in AUstralia, so prices can be very expensive), that is mainly good for HT use.

I was thinking of some of the Jamo series, like the sub200 or sub250? Can anyone comment on these? Or perhaps something similar?

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott

I will speak in general terms. Most movies have lower frequency content than most music. The exceptions are....well - the exceptions. Music with pipe organs, hip hop or other synthesized tunes that dig low may rival some of the lowest of the low movies.

It used to be true that you had to make a choice for what you wanted, a sub designed to dig low or a high spl design, with just a few exceptions. Now we are fortunate, the construction of the motor, the material of the cone and the build of the boxes have improved such that you may find (or build) those subs that do it all and do it well.

Just like anything else though, the cheaper you go the less likely you will hit your goals. You can still find subs that are better suited for certain types of music, HT, PA systems and etc.

Some general trade-off's.A ported sub will need less power to drive it to max excursion so you may save money on the amp. A sealed sub may be built into a smaller enclosure

Use your favorite web search engine and read for a few hours and you will get the idea.

Carlo S

Stunt Coordinator
David, my room is under 3.5m square.

SHS, yeah that is what I may do. For the moment, I am using an older subwoofer, but it is not exactly that flexible when it comes to choosing the frequency. Its over 15years old as far as I know.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
In my experience, just like any sound reproduction component subwoofers can also sound different. Two subs may reach down to the same frequency, but because of a myriad of variables - cone material, magnet structure construction, surround & spider shape, etc etc - their overall output will end up being different. Typical spec charts & graphs just do not tell the whole sonic story.

So yes, to some people ABC Brand sub will sound better for music while another person may think XYZ Brand subwoofer is better suited for movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks