What's new

Subwoofer distortion (1 Viewer)

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene

It sounds like Robert may be in a position to help you through the DIY process. DIY is an attractive prospect, however, beginners sometimes run into problems, enough so that they abandon trying to finish the subwoofer.

For some people not DIY is a matter of their time being more valuable than trying to save money on a DIY project. Others don't have the tools or willingness to take the risk of a DIY project.

I couldn't give you the slightest idea what the ratio of DIY to buying finished commercial subs is.

Having said all that, your location in Europe limits your access to many of the best internet direct subwoofers. If you could get an SVS PB-12 NSD for 600 Euros, you would be in pretty good shape.

But since you have been exploring subsonic frequencies, DIY is by far the least expensive way to achieve >100 db at the listening position at frequencies under 15 Hz.

One last thing, I would suggest that you change your plans from a sub with a passive radiator to one that is sealed. You might have to build the box a little bigger, but there are advantages to sealed vs. passive radiator designs, if I am not mistaken.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It all depends on your goals and budget. There is no perfect sub because they are all compromises.

I don't mind helping these guys build a sub as long as they do a little research before asking questions. Check out a few of my other threads and you can see what I run up against sometimes.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Those are neat once. I'd rather play a pure 10hz test tone though. You can barely hear anything coming from the subs and most of that is suspension noise. My SPL meter pegs to full and the door to my room shakes violently. I've stuck my head between a pair a 15's and gotten dizzy. It's a really strange feeling just 'feeling' the bass.

Most of that you are downloading is low resolution, compressed crap. If any compression artifacts are audible they may cause damage at high volumes. Stick with CD quality or higher for demos.

-Robert

Real Name
Jeff Shultz
Thanks again. Don't worry Robert. I definitely am one to research. I will check some of your threads. I can only imagine some of the fun stuff you get to deal with.

regarding PR vs. sealed. I really don't care. All I want is to be able to hear low music notes clearly as well as deep bass without distortion. I know one cannot have it all. I was thinking 2 bass systems. One for lows and one for highs.

With my wanting good lows,highs and good subsonics, it certainly looks like DIY is the way to go.

Right you are about me being VERY limited regarding products only available in the U.S. It really sucks.

I love these supersubsonic bass tracks. Robert! I definitly want the uncompressed good stuff. I can only imagine how it is. You describing the deal with the door shuddering. YEAH BABY!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Start simple. Going with two different subs is a nightmare to get calibrated properly and will probably be a failure for someone without the proper test equipment. I've been thinking about going that route but I don't have the time to devote to a project like that right now.

Let's start with what drivers you have available to you. What car audio subs are sold locally? Stick with the world wide brands like Cerwin Vega, Polk, Infinity or JBL. Some of those can be used in a home theater. Is the German car audio company Ground Zero still around? Or can you find one of their older subs that has been used? GZ was made by US manufacturer TC Sounds. The same guys who made my subs as well as dozens of other brands.

-Robert

Real Name
Jeff Shultz
Hey Robert. Thanks again. I am looking into it. Hey? If you want to see the stuff I have available to me,, see it for yourself so that you can see what I have to deal with, etc, check out---saturn.de Saturn here in Germany is like our Fry's. ,, anyway, I am researching U.S. stuff too! If I see what I want, I will arrange a way to have someone send it to me from America, via 3rd party or whatever. I won't be confined/restricted by Geo/policy stuff. The only thing I am concerned with is stuff I can't,, really, do anything about. such as voltage and things like this. Here in Germany it is 220. dual voltage would be a big fat plus for me.

Jeff.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just went to Saturn.de. You may want to post direct links to items. I can't get past the first page because I can't read German.

If you will have someone ship you something, then check out the manufacturers above. Contact them and see if they have European distributers. I think Exodus Audio has a seller in Denmark. That's close to you isn't it?

-Robert

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
Try turning the subwoofer levels on the receiver all the way down, and the subwoofer to half .

Real Name
Jeff Shultz
Right Robert. Sorry about that. What I meant by having someone shipping it is; Have it sent to a friend and then have that friend ship it to me. Even with the postage and the customs stuff it will be coniderably cheaper.

http://www2.saturn.de/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/main?langId=-3&storeId=14053&catalogId=13553&topCategory=32522&parentCategory=32522&categoryId=32522&ok=T_PRODUCTS&uk=owg

Here is part of the car audi stuff. anyway when you type in saturn.de you will be brought to a page that wants you to select a city that you would like to view contents of the store in that city. Once you select that, the menues are pretty easy to read because the terms are the same, mostly. such as hifi, audio etc. no big deal. Not like you have to do it. Just trying to prod ou a little.
Oh yeah. the prices are in Euro, but no prob. Just multiply whatever you see by 5 to get the dollar conversion. E.g: 60 euro is 90 bucks.

Whats up Raymond? get in the wrong thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks