What's new

Subwoofer damping question (1 Viewer)

DerrickN

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I'm in the middle of building my first sub and I've found some 2.5" "egg crate" foam from work (simliar to the convoluted acoustic foam at PE #260-315B). My question is can I use this foam as a dampening material for my 54L sealed cabinet? I was going to glue them to the top and sides of the cabinet and then fill in with about 1 lb. of polyfill. Is this a good idea or not? Please advice.

Thanks,

Derrick

DerrickN

Stunt Coordinator
ThomasW, thanks for the info.
Just did a search on Google and found out there are hundred types of foams such as memory foam, conventional foam, latex foam, closed cell foam, packing foam, acoustic foam, and many more...
The egg-crated foam that I found was in a crate that a company used to ship delicate equipment to customers. How can I tell what kind of foam do I have? It’s very thick though, measured 3.5" from base to peak. It looks exactly like the picture below but I have no clue if this is the same material as the open cell acoustic foam.
acoustic.jpg

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Open cell foam has thousands of visible pores and you can breathe throught it.
Cut pieces that are a force fit to the inside of the box. Then then give it a listen. Pull out the foam, put in the poly, give that a listen. Finally put in the foam and the poly.
Chose the one you like best. Like the steakhouse "No rules just right" :)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Derrick, I have a sealed sono that I ended up useing both foam & poly fill in,I lined the walls and end cap with 2-1/2 foam and used one 1 lb bag of acousta stuf from PE and it sounds great.Id say if ya got the foam use it (nothin beets free):emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks