Subwoofer choices.... (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Dan. I know what you mean regarding sub pricing. I felt the same way when I started researching my speaker upgrades. After having purchased the SVS, I can tell you that I am very happy with that decision. You won't know just how much a sub contributes to the overall theater experience until you have something on the level of the SVS offerings. If I were in your shoes budget wise, I would make a temporary compromise on the surround or even front speakers, but not the sub. Have you looked at any of the SVS "B stock" items? They can save you some $$ and are not lacking in performance or workmanship.

John

Dan Burch

Agent
I ran wires to the corners, ceiling height, about 7 years ago when I did work on the room above. Didn't know anything about HT, I thought I was just planning ahead. I am replacing a cheap Pany all in one, $200, @ Costco from 4 years ago. Don't have room for floor speakers due to the door that opens on the wall with the TV. (Hopefully the pictures posted.) My wife collects Pez candy dispensers and I have hung 6 display cases on the walls and the collection is still growing. They vibrate and fall over in the case, that's the vibration I'm talking about. I was tiling in the bathroom behind the front wall while the superbowl was on and I could feel the walls shaking and the sound was not up too loud. I'm sure volume correlates to vibration, I just want to minimize it in the walls.
Thank for all the advice. This is really not my hobby, I was just trying to set up a good system and the cost keeps going up! I understand pay for what you get, I just didn't know I would have to pay so much. I will rethink $ for sub vs speakers and read more about placement (although I'm limited). I will look at those "budget" $429 subs and the "B" stock. If my pictures posted let me know if you have any placement suggestions.
Thanks again, Dan

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

From your pictures I can see your concerns. Anything not nailed down is going to move with any decent sub. If your room is being used for multiple purposes I wouldn't suggest investing heavily in speakers at this time. It does look like you have room for some front pedestal bookshelfs.

You'll be fine with whatever you choose. have fun!

John

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You have come to an enthusiast site. Same thing happens when I go to a woodworking forum. The members there will say that Harbor Freight tools are junk. They fit my my budget and have provided years of reliable service. But I don't push them to their limits like the enthusiasts do. Same with performance car forums or any other forum. Go audition speakers and subs of different prices. You may be satisfied with some that cost much less than what we recommend.

-Robert

troy evans

Screenwriter
Until they come out with the $2500 SVS PC Infinate, or some such upgrade. :D There's no such thing as "the last thing you will ever buy" in regards to home theater equipment. Come on now :)

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
Dan,

Where do you plan to put your center channel? The reason I ask is that if you have it below your screen then the panning of sound as scenes tend to do in HT could be a bit distorted as the sound will move from high to low to high again(as far as it being localizable) as it pans accross the room.

It appears you might have enough room to install it above the screen but I cannot say how it will sound. It might be ok.

As far as vibrating then yes, sound is nothing more than waves and vibration is the vehicle in this medium of transfer so it would only stand to reason other things that are small or loose will vibrate as well. If your walls literally vibrate then you might want to look into putting more fasteners to what appears to be sheetrock(in your room) in areas that vibrate. If it is the things on the wall vibrating then the only fixes are to secure them or lower the volume.

I have to admit that I have things vibrating in my house now that never did before. However, if a train were to pass outside your door I'm sure you would notice things vibrating in your home, isn't that the point of enjoying the visceral improvement of upgrading your sound system? When a truck passes you hear it, feel it and things rattle, when an airplane passes closely you hear it, feel it and things rattle, when an explosion occurs.....you get my drift.

If you want to localize and improve upon the noticable/audible unnwanted noises caused by these vibrations then I would suggest getting the Avia disc and a sound meter and then you will see the frequencies that cause the most vibration. You can localize and fix those noises as well. You can also see whether your room accoustics combined with your equipment have spikes or lulls in frequency that may contribute to the "problem" of vibration.

Yes, this can get involved but to take care of these issues you either need to embrace it as an hobby or treat it as a problem to resolve for maximum enjoyment. Otherwise you could give us updates on the Pez collection losses and the ensuing fights.....this could be interesting. :)

Dan Burch

Agent
You know I becoming more of a HTF hobbiest than a HT hobbiest. I love reading all the fun responses. My wife does check her Pez, if they moved she knows I've been watching TV.
When I drywalled up the top 1/2 of the old wet bar that was there, I thought I would have plenty of room. Well you know How that goes. I wanted to encorporate space in the cabinet for the center..no room. I thought the best place to put the center would be below the TV but, no room. If I move the TV higher it's too high. Looks like the only place is above the TV which may not be ideal.
Robert, you put things in perspective. Some tools I buy the best, others Harbor Freight will do. I'm gong to go inbetween, I don't need the best, but I do want quality. I am sold on the SVS sub though either the 10 or 12($).
How are their center and surround speakers? Seems most mix and match brands.
I guess I'll get out of my chair and go listen to speakers & subs (but gas is so expensive). I can run the Avia and the 15hz test (have to learn what that is) after I make my selection.
1st thing I'm going to do is invest in some museum putty, when she's not home I'll stick some to the bottom of all the PEZ, cause I realize I'm stuck with and am going to love the vibration.
With so many choices as slow as I am it will take a while. but it will be fun.
Thanks everyone for all the advice.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Today I had a great experience. Went to finaly check out my friends SVS PB13-Ultras. He's been calling me and calling me to check out these subs. Well here is a list of my subs
2 isobaric downfiring 15" (4999.-- each) powered by 2 bridged AB INTERNATIONAL 1180a 2200 Watts in to 4 ohms
2 mirrow image XLS Audiophile 12" active + 12" passive 1000 Watts $2399.-- each
Powertowers with 400 Watt Subs, so you know I like subs.
I am not comparing the SVS Subs to mine, but I've got to tell you these things totally blew my mind. It is not what I expected for that kind of money, to get that sound you've got to spend some major bucks. All I can say is great job SVS.
They also intergrated well with the rest of the system.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Depending on the model you get, the 15hz test may be disappointing. The ported SVS subs have a high pass filter to keep you from destroying the driver with extremely low material. My DIY subs have no filter. Sub manufacturers put these limiters on their amps like car manufacturers but limiters on their motors. Think of SVS as a sports car. Once you get going, you will want to push it to its limits. It's a natural instinct.

-Robert

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
I see some guys(maybe gals too, dunno) love these. They might be worth a look in your room.

Magnepan > Models > MMGW and MMGC

....of course a good sub would have to be included and you already know my choice on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks