Subwoofer basics.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Edwin K, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Edwin K

Edwin K Auditioning

Asking this question here is like asking a neurosurgeon for help with a head cold. But I’m here; you’re here, what the heck.
    I just got a very basic, very simple HT setup. Your basic $200 entry level deal. Simple, but I can’t begin to tell you how much better it is than stereo speakers. Scared the crap out of my nephew with a demo of Jurassic Park III.
    My sub can be adjusted + or – 10 db. That’s my question. What am I adjusting? I find it very amusing when the floor vibrates, if that helps. I use this mainly for DVDs, and they are almost all action adventure blowing stuff up DVDs.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

The idea is that your system is calibrated to a reference level which would be set with the sub at 0db. Then you have the option of raising or lowering the sub's gain by 10db. You can do a search on calibration to learn more about it. It involves a SPL (sound pressure level) meter and a calibration DVD.

3. Edwin K

Edwin K Auditioning

Yikes. I'll look into it further. Till then I'll leave it at 0db. I assume I can replace it with a powered sub some day? I may buy my next system a component at a time.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    That usually isn’t possible with an entry-level system. With them typically the sub connects with speaker wire to the main unit – i.e., the sub isn’t providing it’s own power, the main unit is. A powered sub needs a line-level signal from an RCA jack.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Edwin K

Edwin K Auditioning

I wondered about that. I did find a powered sub that has both line-level and speaker-level inputs. I still plan on stair stepping my next system; buying one thing at a time. I may start with a better center channel, then fronts, surrounds, so on. I could hold off on the powered sub until I upgrade the receiver. Thanks for the information.

6. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    You're probably better off buying a better processor first.

Not sure what your entry level system came with, but that will allow you some more flexibility when you want to upgrade your speakers.