What's new

Subwoofer basics. (1 Viewer)

Edwin K

Auditioning
Asking this question here is like asking a neurosurgeon for help with a head cold. But I’m here; you’re here, what the heck.
I just got a very basic, very simple HT setup. Your basic $200 entry level deal. Simple, but I can’t begin to tell you how much better it is than stereo speakers. Scared the crap out of my nephew with a demo of Jurassic Park III.
My sub can be adjusted + or – 10 db. That’s my question. What am I adjusting? I find it very amusing when the floor vibrates, if that helps. I use this mainly for DVDs, and they are almost all action adventure blowing stuff up DVDs.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The idea is that your system is calibrated to a reference level which would be set with the sub at 0db. Then you have the option of raising or lowering the sub's gain by 10db. You can do a search on calibration to learn more about it. It involves a SPL (sound pressure level) meter and a calibration DVD.

Edwin K

Auditioning
Yikes. I'll look into it further. Till then I'll leave it at 0db. I assume I can replace it with a powered sub some day? I may buy my next system a component at a time.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That usually isn’t possible with an entry-level system. With them typically the sub connects with speaker wire to the main unit – i.e., the sub isn’t providing it’s own power, the main unit is. A powered sub needs a line-level signal from an RCA jack.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Edwin K

Auditioning
I wondered about that. I did find a powered sub that has both line-level and speaker-level inputs. I still plan on stair stepping my next system; buying one thing at a time. I may start with a better center channel, then fronts, surrounds, so on. I could hold off on the powered sub until I upgrade the receiver. Thanks for the information.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
You're probably better off buying a better processor first.

Not sure what your entry level system came with, but that will allow you some more flexibility when you want to upgrade your speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks