What's new

Subsonic filter (1 Viewer)

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I have a (passive, separate power amplifier, cross over in my preamp/processor) ported sub, currently limited so it doesn't bottom if (when) it receives subsonics (like those present in the limiter configuration test tones on my preamp/processor). Getting rid of the lowest frequencies and raising the limiter to just shy of amp clipping seems a better idea.
Contrary to urban legend, my BFD has no problem passing tones < 20Hz, so that doesn't work for me.
Fortunately, I'm a professional geek with soldering iron, box of passive components, and a couple of opamps.
A 24dB/octave filter is trivial, but I haven't a clue as to
how I should pick a -6dB point. Suggestions?

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Hi!
I too have the BFD but I have a subsonic filter on my amp.
So, you're sure that even by cutting twice at 20hz, by 6 or 12dB/octave ( Berhinger recommends twice 1/2 cuts instead of one full cut to lower distorsion), the BFD still let pass the sub-20hz frequencies?
It is rated for 20hz-20khz bandwith.
thanks
------------------

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
10dB below reference is the comfort limit for me with movies, making my target 105dB in the 20-120Hz LFE range.
Measured in room response at my college couch is a just a bit better than that at 20Hz, so I don't want a BFD filter centered at 20Hz and therefore haven't played with one. For that matter, a wide filter centered even lower (can I set a filter for 20 - 20/60ths using the fine adjustment?) would have frequencies > 20Hz in its band and would still be undesireable.
That said, without a filter at 20Hz, the BFD most definately passes sine waves down through 10Hz (the limits of my test CD; my signal generator only goes down to 20Hz) although I haven't measured the attenuation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks