What's new

Sub-woofer size (1 Viewer)

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
I was wondering if an "8" subwoofer was enough for a room that is Aproximately "12x12".

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Depends on the driver and amplifier power. In short, if you want to make a good subwoofer you either need a big cabinet and/or big driver or a small cabinet/driver and lots of power. Look at the Sunfire subs, they are small but have lots of power. Then look at how much spl and depth SVS or AV123 subs have, and they don't need lots of power but use big drivers/cabinets.

It depends on what 8" sub you are talking about.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
No kidding..you're moving air..
I have 2 12" subs with 12" passive radiators with 1000 watt amps that will do structural damage..
Are you asking about the size of the enclosure or the driver. The 1000 watt amps are in a 14X14 enclosure. I also have 2 12" town firing subs with 400 watt amps, where the enclosure is much larger and they sound to bad either. I do have the 1000 Watt Subs in the front and the 400 Watt subs in the rear, they kind of fill in the playing field. By the way the 1000 Watt Subs I had made in mirrow image. These babies are no joke..

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Pink, you crack me up! (love the screen name, btw)

As sages have always said with racecars, boats, and speakers:
There is no replacement for displacement.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
chuckg said:
Pink, you crack me up! (love the screen name, btw)

You must be a Pink Floyd Fan, I just love all this HT stuff, audio has been my hobby for over 40 Years, I know I talk a lot of s...t. I have spend small fortunes on this stuff over years, if it comes down to a new vehicle or a pair of speakers I'll take the speakers, and I realy don't have it like that..
Nothing is ever enough, I am good for a few months but after that it wares off and I won't even listen to my system till I have a newer better component..And the way the market is going I might not ever turn it on again...I guess I am way off base, sorry for that.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Pink floyd fan? who, me?? Nah, I just own every single one of their albums. The first album I ever bought was DSOTM, the second was The Wall, and then I got into "old floyd." If I ever find copies of the movies that Floyd did sound for, I will be in Pink Heaven!

I have a Phase Linear 700 amp that doesn't work, but I keep it because Floyd used a big stack of them in their concerts.

cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks