What's new

sub recommendations (2 Viewers)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Re: box vs. cylinder: Isn't it true that the cylinder design is more efficient for subwoofer output? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

I personally have no experience putting together a speaker or a sub, and don't think I have the skills needed in doing it myself. I looked at the different subs on acoustic vivions.com and there is quite a variety, even in the finished kits. My current HT room is roughly a 14' cube with 8' ceilings and 2 walls being concrete. Don't know if any of this helps. Choices, choices!

Speaking of choices, I have now narrowed the choices down. IT's either the Adire Dharman, or the SVS 20-39 PCi. I had considered the 16-46, but I also emailed the guys at SVS for their recommendations based on my wants and room conditions. We shall see which of the 2 they recommend, but then I have to narrow it down to the Dharman or the SVS. By the way, anyone here played King's Field for the PS2?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Neil,

The choice between size/tuning configuration is a tough one but I'll say that the mid-sized 20-39 is our most popular one by far. Unless someone is a hard-core pipe organ fan (where you really want in-room response to 10Hz or so) then the greater output (on more common HT bass) shorter size and lower cost of the 20-39 is what gets most votes.

Having said that, you would be very hard pressed to ever tell the difference from a 20-39PCi and a PB1-ISD, so if you prefer a box "form factor" there's that to consider too.

Situated in a medium sized room, with corner location you'll get very good power down to 15Hz or so, so it's not like the 20-39PCi isn't going to troll deep too.

In the end it's a call based on a variety of factors. It's one reason we allow 45 days trial in your home. With the nominal risk of shipping costs it's the only way to know if a particular piece of gear is right for your room, budget and listening habits.

Hopefully your e-mail got thru too (what with the "Chicken Virus" on the web) but I wanted to make sure you got some more imped from the manufacturer either way.

PS Curtis, that's a bit slanted perception of that review in question. It actually said:

Each sub performed remarkably similar at the same listening levels, but I would give the advantage to the HSU on classical music because it seemed the most accurate. The SVS gets the nod for rap and hip-hop music as it produced tight loud bass that literally shook the room.

So a perceived edge on classical music to the Hsu, with a nod to the SVS on more modern music. Hardly a "the Hsu was more accurate" conclusion I think. Hate to quibble but it's probably a distinction worth pointing out. The fact the SVS was preferred over all by the reviewer, and cost (periodic sales notwithstanding) $300 less than the VTF-3 is probably something else worth adding?

We know sometimes it's all too easy to take snippets of text out of context and then extrapolate them into statements which never really were made; so I'll link the entire review for those that care to make up their own minds. Had Brian chosen the 20-39PCi this test probably would have been even more skewed in favor of the SVS but that's just a guess.

Ron

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Ron,

Sorry if there was an offense.

And yes...the SVS is cheaper as noted earlier in the thread.

No quibbling, I have never heard an SVS sub, but by all accounts that I have read, you make great products.

curtis

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Curtis,

No offense taken at all. Though we do prefer "less expensive" to "cheaper". ;^)

OK that IS quibbling!

Let us know when you are ready to kick the tires on an SVS some day. We're pretty proud of the fact that several of our best components (namely the Plus and Ultra woofers done in San Diego) are made right there in California (the ISD woofers were originally made in LA but our supplier moved to Las Vegas instead). Reading about us making great products and finding out first hand are are two entirely different things after all! Drop me a line when/if you ever consider your own comparison.

Ron

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Ron,

I really want to try an SVS sub!! In fact, I have friends beginning to think about home theater, and ofcourse, I always recommend Hsu, because I have one, it works great, and they are right in our back yard.

I was able to do a comparison of internet direct speakers, Ascend Acoustics, Axiom, Aperion, and Rocket. I already owned the Ascends, but wanted to hear the others as well.

But it is a whole lot easier hauling in and out bookshelf speakers than it is big subs.

One of these days I definitely want to have my VTF-3 next to an SVS for a comparison. All this stuff is subjective, and I would not be looking for a winner....but more so differences.

Above all...you guys have shown exceptional customer service, this I did have first hand experience with when I was in the market for a sub.

So what are the chances of you guys moving operations to California? :D

Jon Musil

Stunt Coordinator
Martice,

Accoustic Visions is a very interesting option for those of us shopping for a sub. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hey Ron!
Thanks for your info in the email and here. I am flattered to have you actually responding on my posts! I will probably contact you soon about purchasing one (the weight issue leaning me to the 20-39), depending on if my current sub sells and if you guys have any in stock. How long does shipping usually take? Not that I'm impatient to try it or anything (drool...)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Neil,

We do have periodic parts shortages but except for those models that are backordered we send most subs within 48 hours of your purchase.

Right now PB1-ISD (black only) are backed up a few more days, and PB2-Plus subs are still backed up a couple weeks. Both situations will be resolved shortly and we expect to be in a 48 hour mode on even the most popular SVS's. 20-39PCi and PC-Plus subs are not backordered.

Ron

My sincerest thanks to you all for your input and help. You too Ron. I believe my descision has been set on the 20-39PCi and even though I doubt I will be dissapointed, I plan on taking advantage (in a good way of course) of the 45 trial time. Take care all!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks