What's new

sub question (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I went to Best Buy to find the best sub I could just to hold me off until March when I can afford an SVS. Also, I know BB will take anything back for any reason within 30 days.

I knew anything I bought would be unsatisfying, but i knew it would only be a couple months, then I could sell it and buy the SVS.

I picked up the Cerwin-Vega LW-12. Its a 12" 150 watt powered sub. I hooked it in and was amazed at how well it carried music. I am a 70% music, 30% movies guy and I know how hard it is to find a sub that has the qualities I need for music. But this one is not bad at all.

It says the freq. response goes down to 30 hz. I really dont know much about the whole freq response thing, but does this mean i'm missing anything when I watch movies that carrie lower than 30hz signals? Am I not hearing (or feeling) a lot of the movie that i should be?

Does anyone else have this sub?

thanks

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, if you look in the hardware archives, TN rates your sub at a max of 89db at 20hz, which is quite respectable for a "low-end" sub. That is quite a bit below it's max output, so there may be quite a roll-off below 30hz. If you put it in a corner, you should get a boost in the lower frequencies.

Most manufacturers overstate their products capabilities, but apparently CV is somewhat conservative. If you don't mind me asking, how much is Best Buy selling them for?

There might be some others who would be interested in a review of this sub. Try some of the "test" material, like U-571, the Haunting, Star Wars Episode One, or Titan AE, if you have them.

I considered auditioning this sub, but took the plunge on an Adire Dharman.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I got it from Best Buy for $250.

I have tested it, and it got the job done as well as most subwoofers Ive heard. Toy Story 2, especially the beginning logo, shook the walls. And SW EP1 was amazing.

But then again, I dont really know how its SUPPOSED to sound. Maybe im getting ripped from some of the low frequencies that I dont even know exist. I was just curious as to if this was the case or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks