What's new

Sub power on "pop" is this bad? (1 Viewer)

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I've tried all the different configurations I can to avoid this, but the only method that avoid it sounds bad to me.

The problem, when the power it turned on the powered subs pop. The level seems to vary and I'm concerned it's not good for the speakers. It doesn't seem to matter if the power is switched on before, during or after the rest of the equipment is switched on.

The only configuration that doesn't pop requires me to leave the power to the subs on always. I don't feel comfortable doing that, it seems wasteful.

So, is there any way to avoid the power on pop? I'd guess no. Can this popping cause damage to my subs?

Thanks for any help!

Ned

Supporting Actor
Last on, first off.

Turn the sub on last, turn it off first (depending what you're doing).

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
Ned, I've tried that (or at least the last on part) and the pop seems unavoidable. I'm just hoping it's not going to damage anything.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Personally I just leave everything on all the time. I don't think the gear uses much juice when idle.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Jeff.

I gather this is a self-powered sub? (built in amp and x-over)

And even all by itself (nothing connected to it) it pops upon turn-on. Right?

What brand and model sub is it?

Has it always done it or did it just start doing it?

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I believe it's always done this. It's the powered sub part of my Boston Acoustic's 970s.

I think it has happened all the time since I've switched to using a switched power supply. Either the SurgeMaster and now a Monster Power 5000. I've tried plugging the sub power into the amp's switched outlets and the monster power outlets. On the Monster I've tried delayed and undelayed. All three of those cause the pop. The only on that doesn't is if I connect to an unswitched (always on) outlet.

My concern about leaving the thing on all the time isn't really the power drain, although in CA every bit seems important. I'm more concerned about burning it out.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I know with my Sub, if it doesn't recieve a signal within 40 minutes, it puts itself in standby, and the only power being used there is for a red LED, just to show that it is actually in standby.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"I believe it's always done this. It's the powered sub part of my Boston Acoustic's 970s.
I think it has happened all the time since I've switched to using a switched power supply."
I am confused here. You have switched power supplies on the subs amp? Somehow I think you mean something else. Do you mean since you installed switched outlets?
"Either the SurgeMaster and now a Monster Power 5000. I've tried plugging the sub power into the amp's switched outlets and the monster power outlets. On the Monster I've tried delayed and undelayed. All three of those cause the pop. The only on that doesn't is if I connect to an unswitched (always on) outlet.
My concern about leaving the thing on all the time isn't really the power drain, although in CA every bit seems important. I'm more concerned about burning it out.
You won't burn it out and although I understand your concerns about energy usage, keep in mind that at idle the power consumtion is small. But it sounds to me like the turn-on muting circuit of the sub (if any) is not working. The only fix then would be to leave it on or have it repaired as there is no way of circumventing this externally.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
You shouldn't have to worry about power consumption... the little clock on your stove or microwave probably uses more power than the idle sub.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I am confused here. You have switched power supplies on the subs amp? Somehow I think you mean something else. Do you mean since you installed switched outlets?
No, no switched power supplies. I was referring to the outlets I had the amps plugged into. They are plugged into a monster hts5000 which has three settings for the outlet, unswitched, switched with no delay or switched with delay. I was just trying to explain the different configurations I've tried.

So, I read the responses and thought.... Maybe these do switch off on idle. I ran some tests and sure enough, they do turn off (LED and all off) when unused. DOH! The simpliest and most obvious has escaped me. They are now powered all the time and everything seems great.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious! I feel so dumb. =?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks