Sub Operating Frequency

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jeremy B., Jan 11, 2004.

1. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Stunt Coordinator

Ok, so this is obviously a newbie questions, but what is the difference in operating frequencies between two different subs. For example, I am comparing the Dayton 10" 100W sub that operates @ 25Hz-160Hz, and the Infinity that comes with the TSS-750 150W 34Hz-150Hz. Would I expect "louder" bass with the Infinity unit just because of the higher wattage, and more crisp bass with the Dayton because of the more broad range? Thanks in advance for the input!

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Hi, Jeremy:

You cannot equate wattage with SPL (Sound Pressure Level or loudness) because efficency has not entered into the equation. You can have a, let's say, 100 W sub that goes louder than a 150 W sub because the "100 watter" is more efficient.

Also a sub with a "more broad range" does not translate into "more crisp bass". Usually the crisp adjective, when dealing with subs can be applied to subs that don't go very deep or have high second harmonic distortion (Not a good thing, in my opinion). I personally don't pay attention to the frequency response of a sub above 100 Hz or so.

Be careful when comparing manufacturer's specs as they don't always use same parameters. Frequency response for instance needs to be specified with a +/- dB range to be meaningful. In subs, the SPL level at which the device can reproduce this range as well as the specified distortion and measuring conditions (anechoic or room reinforced, measuring distance, etc.,) are very important.