What's new

Sub Help (1 Viewer)

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone, I was recently a victim of a lightning storm. Or rather, my receiver and sub/amp were. Anyhow, my STR-DA777ES and NHT SA-2 amp are probably dead. I already have a replacment receiver on order (VSX-74TXvi) however I'm torn on what I should do about the sub amp.

The sub is an NHT SW2Pi with the SA-2 amp. When the sub amp is turned on the sub puts out a solid hum that can not be adjusted by the volume nob. Doesn't matter if the sub amp is connected to the receiver or not. I hooked up the sub to a crappy receiver I had in the closet and the sub works though.

So, I guess the question is, should I get a new amp or get a new sub? I also liked using the front line outputs to the sub amp instead of using the sub out from the receiver. Any suggestions?

Corey

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you’re asking which one is the source of the hum (i.e., which needs to be replaced), that would be the amp.

If you’re asking if you should just go ahead and get a powered sub instead of replacing the amp, it seems to me that if the sub works fine, it’ll be cheaper to replace the amp instead of the whole she-bang.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response Wayne. Anyone have any suggestions on Sub amps? It's hard as hell to find the SA-2.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I will make another suggestion that you may like or not but take it however. I had two of those same sub/amps two years ago. Loved them for music but they did not do movies justice. I switched to a single SVS sub with the amp built in and am in heaven now. Plus cost me less than what I paid for the NHT's. I am not joking the SVS sub put those in the dirt, no comparrison at all... good luck.

Corey Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Which SVS did you get? TBH, I've been reading most of the threads here about what subs people are getting and everyone getting the svs and really peaked my interest in getting an svs sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks