What's new

Sub evolution in my theater...need more testing? (1 Viewer)

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
After 6 months of slowly modifying a few things, I ended up w/ Denon AVR-331CI for a 15'x25' room. Had started w/ AVR-2313CI. Very noticeable improvement but I now wonder if 4520 CI would have been worth while another 1k or so?

Anyway, in terms of the bass aspect, I started w/ 2 subcompact 6 pinnacle subs placed in the wall vented,hidden. Was way underbassed for lack of better word. I kept both pinnacles and added two SVS NSD cylinder subs also placed in front of room. Major improvement. I sold one pinnacle and added one Definitive pro sub 1000 to get just a bit more "boominess" type of base. I know, I'm sure everyone will disagree w/ this addition. However, I love the addition to add just a little more mid frequency basses. I'm really happy w/ how clean it sounds now but my question is this? In terms of calibrating the SVS subs, I was told by SVS rep that you don't really need to do much of anything. Simply plug in and use. I did go through the calibration via Audyssey on Denon initially, but other than that, the subs have not been tweaked any further. (I did not calibrate the Definitive sub as I simply wanted to add this in separate). Anyway, my question is: Would I really be served from this point, by purchasing more equipment to calibrate, tweak the bass more from this point or just leave as is?

thanks a lot

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
If you want to tweak the overall response - then your best bet is to get REW (RoomEQWizard) and a DSP of some sort - either a Behringer DSP1124P, or a MiniDSP. You'll need a measurement setup - you could get the new UMIK-1 from MiniDSP for that as it is USB.

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Do you think this would result a noticeable improvement from the two SVS NSD's? To someone's relatively unsophisticated ears such as mine?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since we don't know what Audyssey even did to your present set-up, except for the fact "you couldn't hear anything but the center"...(I've asked, more than once, for you to post pictures of the results)

We have no idea what it will do, for you.

In your other thread I said your center needed to be -9 relative to the other 6. You come back with "I raised the center and surrounds, now I can hear it".

Raised from what?
To what?

What?

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Let me check on these details and I will post what I can find.

The issue w/ the center was never that I could only hear center, it was just that the center seemed too dominant and the front speakers a little too absent.

thx

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
nystad said:
Do you think this would result a noticeable improvement from the two SVS NSD's? To someone's relatively unsophisticated ears such as mine?
Adding a Behringer DSP1124P made an incredible difference in my dual 15" TC-3000 subs. Another advantage is that you can tweak the response curve to your liking. Want a little boom in the upper frequencies? Don't buy another sub, change the EQ. You can also save 8 different memories to match what you want it to sound like.

I did not go the REW route since I'm cheap. I had a Radio Shack analog SPL meter sitting around so I used it along with a specialized spreadsheet and test tones I created from free software. It took about 2 hours total but that is a small price to pay for years of enjoyment. Yes, I did this 4 or 5 years ago and haven't changed a single setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks