Sub eq - Behringer Feedback Destroyer or Art 351?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joe Wong, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Hi all

which would be better or more flexible in terms of smoothing/taming the subwoofer output in my room?

Thanks!

Joe

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Hi -

I had the ART and liked it - super easy and no fuss. Then I got rid of it and lived with no EQ for a while...Realised how important it was so got a BFD...

I vote BFD. Learning curve is no big deal, and it can do what the ART can and so much more.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

The BFD is much more flexible than the ART.

4. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I have both at the moment. The BFD is way more flexible but you need to spend about an hour figuring out how it works.

This page describes the entire setup process.

http://www.snapbug.ws/bfd.htm

It looks pretty complex but scroll to the bottom and you'll see that all that info boils down to a few operations. It just describes each one very thoroughly making it appear complex.

5. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    While you could do more with the ART 351 than with nothing, using a 1/3rd octave graphic EQ for taming bass in a room is akin to going after a fly with a shotgun. You can likely kill some peaks, but you will certainly pick up a lot of collatoral damage in the process.

Parametric based EQ/filtering is needed to achieve worthwhile results with low frequencies in most rooms. Rane has a few EQs which offer 1/6th oct-band eq plus 2 parametrics which is at least reasonably useful, yet still is a bit "blunt" compared to something like a BFD, etc.

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I saw an owner review and the guy said that the BFD runs very hot. He said his actually melted down. Naturally that would be a concern. The BFD is a digital device and the chips can run very hot. Apparently, the BFD has no ventilation.

I'd like to hear from owners on this issue

Thanks

Artie

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Mine sits under my couch, "ears" removed so there are gaping holes on either side of the front panel, but it's never hot.

Bad thing about having it under the couch is, the front panel got smacked with the vacuum and is now busted...

8. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

I have never noticed that mine runs hot. But then again I have never felt the need to check. I too have the "ears" removed. It sits on top of my VCR, which has yet to melt into a puddle of plastic.

9. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

My BFD has been inside my equipment cabinet (on top of my electronic xover) for the last 5 years, and no heat problems at all.

By the way it has been powered-on that whole time (never turned off).

10. Felix_F

Felix_F Stunt Coordinator

I've read the same (ahem) "review," which consisted of a couple of loose sentences seemingly penned by a 4 year old. I'm surprised that someone would actually put credence into something that ridiculous. To answer your question, the BFD runs very cool.

Felix

11. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I want to thank all of you who took the time to respond to my concern.

Felix

As I recall the "review" it was not well polished.

I am going to put the BFD back on my wish list.

Thanks

Artie