What's new

Stylus for the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have had a chance to use the Adonit Jot Touch Pixelpoint stylus on the iPad Air and thought it was pretty good for doing my sketching and painting! Because the tip is a hard plastic one, it will and does slip across the glass surface a lot easier then a rubber tip stylus will. So I had to practice a little to get the feel of it and I got the hang of it after a short while. The pressure sensitivity is quite good and as good as the Wacom Intuos Creative stylus which is my current favorite. The effort to press the stylus against the screen is much lighter! The rubber tip of the Wacom requires a little more effort and I can apply less pressure and get a light line which is what I want. The new Jot with Pixelpoint could replace Wacom. The main downside so far is the Pixelpoint technology has alignment issues. If you hold the stylus more or less straight up or perpendicular to the screen, the line you draw aligns with the tip. If you hold the stylus at an angle like you typically do with a writing instrument, then the line you draw doesn't align with the tip. There is an offset. This happened in Sketchbook Pro, Procreate and the new Adobe Sketch and Line. And the Adobe apps are even approved for the Jot Touch PP. (Pixelpoint) I am thinking the alignment issues are related to the apps not being updated yet for the Jot Touch PP. Or it's just the nature of the PP technology that fools the iPad to see a larger contact patch then the tip of the stylus actually is.The Wacom stylus has dead on alignment and I've gotten accustomed to the larger round tip. But I know a lot of people can't get over that and want the finer point tip. I was going to upload a sketch I did with the Jot Touch PP stylus, but the HTF app kept failing to upload it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Sam. I've seen and tried the new 27" Cintiq when they visited us at our office to demo it. But I didn't know there was a new 13" and with touch! Cool for those with space and budget constraints.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hope Linda is right Sam. I don't know if she actually tried the Apple Pencil herself to truly say the things she said. I'm not dissing her. I am going to be first in line to buy the new iPad Pro and Pencil because this is the grail tool I've always wanted since the iPad first came out.

I use Wacom Cintiqs and I have to disagree that there is the parallax issue. It doesn't bother me.

As for a tool to have in my lap while I'm sitting on the couch and watching TV to sketch on, I agree the Big Cintiqs are not suited for that. The very thing I really hope from the new iPad Pro and Pencil is the ability to carry it around the house and doodle and sketch out and paint design concepts anywhere I want with the same ease and quality as on the big Cintiq. I am betting we finally have that tool. I really look forward to November when I can bring one home to start using.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks