Stupidest Reason For Selecting One TV Over Another

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Todd Erwin, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Cinematographer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Yesterday, while shopping for a new computer case at Fry's Electronics, I heard what is perhaps the stupidest reason for selecting one TV over another. Fry's just got in the new Mitsubishi DLP 3D televisions, and had one on display at the entrance to the store. A salesman was talking to a customer, and I picked up a pair of glasses to see how it compared to Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic. The salesman said he was in the process of getting new batteries, so the glasses were not currently working. When the salesman left to grab some batteries for the glasses, I struck up a conversation with the customer, telling him that I thought that the Panasonic plasmas had the best 3D and overall picture quality over anything else I've seen so far.

This was his response:

Sure, the Panasonic 3D plasma has a better picture and better 3D, but the Mitsubishi DLP 3D has less of a gap between the wall and the TV in the cubby hole I have my TV in now. The Panasonic would give me a 1/2 inch gap, while the Mitsubishi would give me only a 1/4 inch gap. It's an aesthetic thing.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    ha...

i hear stuff like that all the time!!

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mitsubishi recommends allowing at least 4 inches of clearance all around the set for ventilation.

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    This is an example of what happens when you want those pretty cabinets.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    What was my sister doing in Newport Beach, and why was she dressed in drag?

Regards,

Joe

6. robbbb1138

robbbb1138 Second Unit

1/2 inch versus 1/4 inch is stupid, but that's something I'm sure my parents would say. I at least get picking TVs to fit an entertainment system though, since our system in our living room was part of a $3,000 set and it absolutely won't fit any TV models that are 60" or more.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Last Saturday afternoon a customer asked which sets came on instantly. Said that when he wanted to watch tv he didn't want to have to wait 10-15 seconds for the picture to appear.

8. robbbb1138

robbbb1138 Second Unit

CNET needs to start including that in their reviews.  

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Originally Posted by Steve Schaffer

Joe

10. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

I was shopping for an entertainment center type of furniture thing, and had my tape measure with me. NOT ONE of the available furniture type things at any of the stores really tripped my trigger, and nearly none of them would fit my speakers (who wants speakers inside cabinets, anyway?) Many of the furniture type things had shelves that were too narrow for standard consumer electronics! One had drawers for your movies, but the drawers were smaller than the DVD and BR cases. WThuh?

The kicker? Nearly every sales puke I talked to suggested that I get different equipment so that it would fit. One or two mentioned how great their neighbor's (insert name of despised audio gear here) system sounds and looks.

In the end, I blew six grand on bedroom furniture and dining room furniture and home office furniture, but not a penny on my theater. I told the salesman (a very nice guy who gave us a great deal) that my theater sound system cost more than the truckload of furniture I bought!

...sometimes you can only laugh...Now, off to the shed to get some concrete blocks and old doors...

11. safesinger

safesinger Stunt Coordinator

Are there really stupid reasons though?

I mean if i'm spending my $$ I want what I want. Even if it seems trivial to one person it may mean everything to that person spending thier hard earned money.