Stupid things said on TV

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by brentl, Nov 6, 2004.

1. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I was just wacthing news about the Mt ST Helens getting bigger again and the reporter from CNN said.

"Some say the volcano had grown 300 feet, that's as high as a 30 story building"

No DUH!

Is TV, even CNN, turning into TV for the lowest common denominator??

Anybody else with stories of stupid reporters??

Brent

2. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

that's a daunting task :

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Forget reporters:

"I am not a crook!"

[​IMG]

4. Lars Larsen

Lars Larsen Stunt Coordinator

Lars Larsen
    Questions that suggest a certain answer or questions where the answer is already given. Like, "What kind of emotions are you going through, now that your house has been destroyed by the huge all-consuming forrest fire?". It's a big waste of time and an insult to the viewer's intelligence, to be asking these types of questions.

However, politically biased reporters really takes the prize. I watched a documentary about Fox News the other day. Wow, that's was more scary and nausiating than any horror movie I've ever seen.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Oh, I don't know. I heard a weatherman just a few days ago explain how to tell how far away lightening was by counting out the seconds until the thunder and saying that it was 1000 fps!

Glenn

6. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Unless I'm missing something, that IS roughly the speed of sound. I don't see what the big deal is...

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Closer to 1100, but I think that's at low temps. The warmer it gets, the faster it is.

Glenn

8. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

that's why Mr. Hoover said "roughly".

i'm still at a loss as to why you think that it was a stupid thing to say on t.v.

9. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Worst one I can remember:

Football commentator was trying come up with a euphemism to suggest that the Packers' OT had a big butt, so he says "Everybody knows he's got the most expansive rectum in the NFL!"

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It doesn't matter unless you are outside, and they are headed in your direction. You may need to run a lot faster than you figured. Any other time, who really cares anyway?

Glenn

11. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Please keep political comments out of this thread.

[​IMG]

12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Dumbest comment, and -slighlty- political (but not about a party but the way in which things work) but so open that it has nothing to say about any party so I'll still use it

Local newscaster:

"What's important to remember to pass a ballot initiative is that more people have to vote FOR it then AGAINST it. If a simple majority opposes it, the initiative does not pass. Back to you."

I've taped it off, MP3d it, sent it to several people.

Really? Who needs this kind of explanation? [​IMG]

Another dumb one on the weather last night (local radio, though, but simulcast on TV):

"As always, if it's raining out, please turn on your lights and wipers and drive safe"

Ok, so, I assume this to mean (and maybe it does happen) people drive around in pouring rain with their lights off and wipers off? Good lord.

13. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Sorry Chris, that one can't be repeated too often. I am greeted by unlit cars in fog, rain and near dark conditions everytime they occur. Idiots abound and the most common culprits are the "public safety officers"...seems they want to hide for some reason so they leave their lights off.

Here's the news item that irritates me. The too common teaser about something I'd prefer to know about THIS INSTANT.

"Tornados coming toward our city, find out when at 10 PM right here on Channel 7!"

14. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

That's not true. Lightning DOES hit buildings and other things that could affect you if you're inside your house. Whenever there's a thunderstorm in your area, it's important to know how far away it is - whether you're inside or out.

15. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

What's fun is watching a newscast that features older anchormen and women who got into the business back when "real" news was featured. You can just see them cringe behind their fake smiles as they segue from one pointless story to the next. I'd feel sorry for them but they're still raking in the bucks for doing next to nothing.

16. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    On CBS last week, October 31st, the commentator said, and I quote, "It's hard to believe that, in just a couple days, the calendars will say November."

I literally stopped, and asked the TV what they would say the next day, Octvember?

17. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

One only has to look at most of the recent hurricane coverage with the requisite visuals of some intrepid reporter being bashed by wind and rain with either waves or bending palm trees in the background telling us how dangerous it is out there. Of course there will be some guy in the studio telling said intrepid reporter to "be careful out there".

18. JamesED

JamesED Second Unit

"What's important to remember to pass a ballot initiative is that more people have to vote FOR it then AGAINST it. If a simple majority opposes it, the initiative does not pass. Back to you."

Uh, I assumed you only needed a majority. But, I wouldn't think its crazy to think it could only take a 1/3rd or 2/5th to start an intiative.

I don't think it's as dumb as the number of times you hear Madden or another announcer say "the team that scores the most points today will win."

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Why is that a "stupid" thing to say? It's a reasonably accurate way to help people visualize how much the volcano has grown. This sort of comparison is used often in news reports and general-audience science articles.

20. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Speaking of Madden, here's one of his brilliant remarks(not word for word): "I've always wondered how they tell which way a river flows." [​IMG]

I think it was a couple of years ago during a Steelers home game.