What's new

stupid sub/amp question. (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
if I get an 8 ohm DVC sub, is there any problem with running a monoblock amp to it, and paralleling it to each voice coil to get a 4 ohm load? or is that a bad idea?

Phil,
Based on what you mentioned the amp should be okay powering a DVC 8 ohm driver. Now the only thing I have for you is, if you own the monoblock amp then I would use it. However, you are deciding on buying an amp then I would consider an affordable plate amp from www.adireaudio.com or www.stryke.com or www.apexjr.com. You should be able to find one within the $89-$179 range. These amps should be capable of delivering power into 4 ohms without a problem.
cree

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
No amp yet, still shopping.
I've looked at the adire, for the price I'd rather have a soundstream monoblock (*very* loyal soundstream customer.. dunno why)
it may be unrealistic, but I'm trying to keep the amp cost under 150$ but really would like to have 200 watts plus, the adire seems to be the most cost effective new at 179, just BARELY above my bidget (which I already probably can't afford hehehe)

Marc_D

Grip
Phillip,
If you find a Soundstream Mono block, for under $150 or even $200, let me know. I too am interested in finding one of those.
[email protected]
------------------

Phil,
I still think its a wise choice to use a plate amp for the money. Apex Jr has the KG5150, which is 150/200 watts @ 8/4 ohms for under $143. Place the amp in a seperate enclosure and place on the floor. This should keep you under $150 and will give you 200 watts into 4 ohms.
cree

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'd prefer the soundstream monoblock, but ended up ordering an adire 250 watt.
I didn't see the apexjr 200 watt before I ordered, I probably would have bought that to save a few bucks. Oh well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks