What's new

Stuff a Lama in a box. (1 Viewer)

Troy_j

Agent
Anyone have a opinion on Lama wool? being used as "fill" or just stick with poly...oh I know; "stuff your box with each and take a listen", but it's easier to glean information than do it your self....:)

StuartL

Auditioning
Troy...
Seems strange... Did you go to LLOYD'S LLAMAS and get a good deal on the fleece?
I would prefer the poly. It won't absorb moisture and emit any organic odors.
Still, why?????
Stu :D :laugh:

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator
I have no idea what Lama Wool is...however, I have used spun wool often in the past. Another wool idea is to go to a Tack & Saddle store and buy some thick wool felt. This can be used as well. I like using thick ( 1 inch) wool felt in addition to spun wool or Poly fill. A friend has used Thick shearling fleece...yeah the stuff they make commfy slippers and Car seat covers out of. Wool in what ever shape or form is more expensive than cheap polyfil & truth be told I really doubt you can hear the difference in most real world situations.

Last set of speakers I experimented on were Adire HE 10.1.
I kinda sorta thought I heard an improvement with the Thick Wool felt on the interior walls and cross braces. I wouldn't bet the farm on that decision though.

On a side note.... a friend in Omaha has used some of the expensive TEMPURPEDIC mattress pads. These are very thick and dense open cell foam. He is comparing this to wool and Black hole.

cheers

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Like stated above, I don't know if there will be an audible difference between the two. I've seen speakers stuffed with wool... (I doubt it was llama wool) so it's not entirely uncommon.

If you have a llama or can get the wool cheap.. go for it. Otherwise I would go with the polyfil strictly for the lesser cost.

I like llamas. I keep telling my wife I'm going to retire and run a llama farm.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
He put the llama in the speaker box and turned it way up,
He put the llama in the speaker box and turned it way up . . . :D
JKS

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Where is Groucho Marx when we need him?

Captain Spalding, having just returned from his latest adventure, a thrilling and very dangerous Llama safari in the mountains of Peru, will give a talk on his adventure after dinner in the drawing room. Of particular note will be his explanation of why Llamas spit so often.
There's a good HT joke in there somewhere.

Nice lyric, Jeremy!

Chris: if your friend is going to do some serious comaparison testing, I'd like to know the results.

Users who are viewing this thread