studio monitors for 5.1 set up

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by mayhem13, Oct 28, 2007.

1. mayhem13

mayhem13 Stunt Coordinator

i've been actively enquiring about speakers for my new theater setup and a friend in the recording industry suggested active studio monitors as an alternative to passive speakers/amp set up. he says that most sound studios use thsi when mixing down 5.1 movie soundtracks
    I've done some price searching and found for about $1500.00 i can have 5 active monitors each 140 watts bi-amped and an active 10" 200 watt sub. studio monitors are reveared for their neutral soundstage and uncolored reproduction-has anyone experienced a set up like this ?

2. Dingiswayo

Dingiswayo Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mayhem,

Yes, as anyone who reads my posts knows, I have a roommate who constantly extols the virtues of studio monitors over normal house speakers. If you look there are a couple of recent threads on monitors to varying degrees of helpfulness. I thought of setting this type of system up but the thing I couldn't get around is connectivity. You can connect passive monitors to your receiver like normal, but my receiver doesn't have pre-outs corresponding to the 8 channels for 7.1. Also some active monitors only have the balanced XLR input. They make 5 channel mixers but this obviously won't decode dvd sound formats. But it would be nice to have the amp part of the speaker.

So what types of monitors are you looking at and how are you going to hook them up? My housemate's Mackie HR824s sound amazing, definitely better than my Infinitys. But I paid less for 6 speakers and a sub than he did his two Mackies. Anyway, if you do this I'd love to hear how it turns out.

3. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

A friend uses Mackie powered monitors in his HT setup with excellent results. Using active monitors does have it's advantages as well as disadvantages.

Like all things in this hobby, it's one compromise after another.

4. Dingiswayo

Dingiswayo Stunt Coordinator

What are a few of each (dis- and ad-vantages)? I've been trying to find this out for a while now. Also, does he/she have them hooked up to a receiver with 7 channel pre-outs or some other way?

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    There sure are a lot of threads about studio monitors lately.

When it comes right down to it, real studio monitors are intended to be used in studios. Now, have you ever looked at the sound treatments in a studio? Are all the walls in your HT covered with sound treatments? Probably not. Different equipment for different situations.

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I suspect that a set of Mackie 624's and a great sub would give many passive sets priced much higher quite a run. A Yamaha 661 (~$400) would make a cool pre-pro for such a setup. Might be some decent deals on 8- or 624's now that new models are out.

7. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I would be more inclined to heed the advice given by Philip Hamm, in the duplicate thread you started. BTW, you can't do that on HTF.

8. mayhem13

mayhem13 Stunt Coordinator

i'll be using an outlaw 990 pre-amp which has 7 balanced outs-it's on sale for only $799 and has excellent reviews-i'll be using m-audio monitors with 2 power amps in each monitor 80w mids and 60w highs-they're 400.00 a pair. they have a dual 6.5" mid monitor thats 220w internal with 2 ampas as well-check them out at m-audio.com

9. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

He had them hooked up to an Outlaw prepro. The Yammie mentioned above would do a great job.

Pros - internal amps offsets the costs by not requiring a separate amp, amps,crossovers, and drivers designed to work together, identical speakers in all positions

Cons - have to plug each speaker into the wall, possible limited SPL, long cable runs, initial set-up cost can be higher, looks

Before buying, just make sure you spend some time listening to them.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The "How to set up..." video on this page has a bit on recording engineer/acoustic expert Ethan Winer's Mackie/SVS based system, pretty cool.

http://realtraps.com/videos.htm