What's new

Studio Logos (1 Viewer)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Walt Disney is even worse than Warner Bros. even on VHS they used to plaster their "Blue Castle Logo" on nearly everything, and now that they have the CGI logo, that one is put everywhere. The Nightmare Before Christmas was a Touchstone release, and now carries the Disney Logo. Toy Story 1 and 2 used to have specially made CGI logos with music by Randy Newman, but those are gone as well. Beauty and the Beast doesn't have the Blue Castle logo anymore. Surely this doesn't have anything to do with rights?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
One thing that completely puts me off about the otherwise incredible Twilight Zone Blu-rays:

At the end of each episode (or at least the ones I've watched all the way through), they include the original CBS network billboard, followed by a brand spanking new CGI CBS one that takes me right out of the moment every time.

Chas, my thoughts exactly...and they put it too close to the original. The dvds were not like this.

The Toy Story plastering bothers me because this was the first computer generated Disney feature and the CGI logo fit in so perfectly with that historic occasion in film history.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Brian Borst

Walt Disney is even worse than Warner Bros. even on VHS they used to plaster their "Blue Castle Logo" on nearly everything, and now that they have the CGI logo, that one is put everywhere. The Nightmare Before Christmas was a Touchstone release, and now carries the Disney Logo. Toy Story 1 and 2 used to have specially made CGI logos with music by Randy Newman, but those are gone as well. Beauty and the Beast doesn't have the Blue Castle logo anymore. Surely this doesn't have anything to do with rights?

I have a bad feeling about the fate of the Buena Vista logos on any film from 1954 until the early 1980s that reaches Blu-Ray.

Disney kept the original logos for:

Snow White

Pinocchio (although the opening credits are from a re-release)

Dumbo

Alice in Wonderland

Sleeping Beauty

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Chas in CT said:
One thing that completely puts me off about the otherwise incredible Twilight Zone Blu-rays:

At the end of each episode (or at least the ones I've watched all the way through), they include the original CBS network billboard, followed by a brand spanking new CGI CBS one that takes me right out of the moment every time.
I don't really care that they added a new logo as much as they feel the need to BLAST THE LOGO'S MUSIC AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE compared to the rest of the audio on the episode. It's like commercials where they're annoyingly loud so it'll catch your attention.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
You're right! I'd forgotten about the audio when I was posting that.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by TravisR

I don't really care that they added a new logo as much as they feel the need to BLAST THE LOGO'S MUSIC AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE compared to the rest of the audio on the episode. It's like commercials where they're annoyingly loud so it'll catch your attention.[/QUOTE]

I hate that too. No wonder so many sound mixers are losing their hearing. CBS/Paramount puts it on everything, even the DVD of The Boys in the Band.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by TravisR

I don't really care that they added a new logo as much as they feel the need to BLAST THE LOGO'S MUSIC AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE compared to the rest of the audio on the episode. It's like commercials where they're annoyingly loud so it'll catch your attention.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Chas in CT

I hate that too. No wonder so many sound mixers are losing their hearing. CBS/Paramount puts it on everything, even the DVD of The Boys in the Band.

I will say I was VERY pleasantly surprised to find that on The Lucy Show: Season 4 eps, the sound for the CBS/Paramount logo is at normal volume. I was shocked. Hopefully it's a sign of the future and not just a fluke. But it was at normal level after each ep in the set, so I'm very hopeful.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Speaking of logos, did anyone else see the episode of Hollywood Treasure a few weeks ago? This guy had worked for a famous title house in hollywood in the 70s. They were going to throw out all these hand panted title cards, so he asked if he could keep them. One of them was the original hand painted RKO logo from the late 1930's. It sold at auction for $85,000. http://www.icollector.com/RKO-Radio-Pictures-camera-logo-art_i10030570 Doug

Very nice! I have to say that my favorite logo is Leo the Lion from MGM. It is most effective in The Wizard of Oz. Boy, did that logo ever send shivers up my spine once every year on a CBS Friday Night (along with the pulsating rainbow and "The Wizard of Oz" coming towards the screen in the opening bumper.)

Ironically enough, I was watching this station in Indianapolis on the very night of the clip! And it was one of the most memorable years of "Oz" for me!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
eric scott richard said:
Very nice! I have to say that my favorite logo is Leo the Lion from MGM. It is most effective in The Wizard of Oz. Boy, did that logo ever send shivers up my spine once every year on a CBS Friday Night (along with the pulsating rainbow and "The Wizard of Oz" coming towards the screen in the opening bumper.)

Ironically enough, I was watching this station in Indianapolis on the very night of the clip! And it was one of the most memorable years of "Oz" for me!
Yeah man....but Hee Haw was on!!!!! Doug

LOL. I'm not exactly sure, but I think Mad Monster Party ran on one of the local stations that night as well. It could have been the next year, though. I remember because some neighborhood kids were over and they wanted to watch something else. As if!

TheHutt

Agent
Real Name
Peter
I personally was pleasantly surprised to see the original 70s Warner logo on the BluRay of "Dirty Harry" (on DVD, they used a latter version, probably from the 80s).

Re: "The Godfather" - the new Paramount logos are disturbing, and the sepia effect does little to help - in fact, it feels rather artificial. Also, the extended restoration credits do disturb me (they were perfect the way they were before, with the music and all).

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I could be wrong but I think Robert Harris mentioned under The Godfather thread (I think) and I hope I am right that originally The Godfather opened without the Paramount logo at all in its original theatrical release.

I know I picked up three recent classics - The Outlaw Josey Wales (Logo replaced by a new one that seems fitting to the films color scheme, yet for the trouble just release it as it was please)

Man Who Would Be King contains an old Allied Artists AP Green Background logo so that was nice. (I take it this was never a Warner film. Also Papillon opens with a New WB logo without that distracting "You Must Remember This" I believe this was a Allied Artist film also so it may not ever have followed a logo opening.

I love it when the films logo is built into the film and can't be changed. Much like The Omega Man, or Who's That Girl (animated opening, Madonna's Character comes thru the WB logo like opening a door.)

Besides Dirty Harry with the clasic Saul Bass logo, Enter The Dragon contains the same logo on the BLU. If it ever gets issued with uncompressed audio I dread it being cut.

It would be cool to gather a listing of films that never contained a studio intro logo at all. (In a lot of cases they are added in on subsequent releases)

prairiedog

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
I had to hold onto my 1990's widescreen VHS releases of two Otto Preminger films released by Warner Home Video. The films are 1962's "Advise and Consent" and 1963's "The Cardinal". These films were originally released by Columbia Pictures, and Warner Home Video, believe it or not, kept the Columbia logos on the VHS releases but unfortunately deleted them when the films hit DVD. I have always been a stickler for logos and am delighted to see originals kept before a film. Now that the Kinney logo is back before Dirty Harry I will surely be upgrading to that Blu-Ray.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I wish Warner Brothers would only use the original logos. I do not like the new Warner Brothers logo at all. My favorite Logo for Warner Brothers is the Warner Communications Logo from the 1970's. The one you have Jack. I think the original logos should always be used. The great Warner Communications Logo should be used for all the great 1970's Warners Movies that originally used them. Take Care! Robert

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Just a hunch, but I believe that the Saul Bass "ugly W" logo is still being used by the Warner Music Group (WB Records, Elektra, Atlantic, etc), which, it should be pointed out, is NOT owned by Time Warner anymore (they may still have a minority stake). As such, perhaps WB has been removing the Bass W logo from older WB titles because they don't want to continue the association between them and a company they no longer are affilated with, or maybe Warner Music asked them to remove them to avoid confusing people. Granted, WB Records still use the shield as their logo on CDs and such, but that could be in the separation contract, just as Universal Music still uses the globe logo even though that music company is also no longer directly owned by Universal Studios (Vivendi has the music label and video games, Comcast has the studio).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck

But you have a very valid point. Warner Bros continues to use the MGM, and RKO logos on the titles they own and have been pretty good about using original logos when they can. There must be a legal reason to remove the logo unless it is Incorporated into the opening titles. I would also expect Columbia asked to have their logo removed from The Cardinal and Advise and Consent, or from the Preminger estate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks