What's new

Studio Canal (Europe) goes neutral by releasing first Blu-Rays (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i sure wish you guys would indicate in the title that you are referring to info outside of U.S. or reg 1

Ali B

Second Unit
The Babel is just a repackaging of other regions Paramount release - perhaps it was stated in the HD release contract to do both?

Fozziwig

Agent
Real Name
Guy

I believe all HD content (both formats) is encoded at 24 fps (23.97 to be exact).

No speed-up to worry about with HD.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Actually quite a few of the Studio Canal European HDdvd releases like Basic Instinct and First Blood has pitched up audio issues. What they think happened was they took a PAL audio transfer and digitally slowed it down by 4% to match the new HDdvd transfer. But the 1/2 step higher audio pitch remained.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=pitch

Fozziwig

Agent
Real Name
Guy

So, a few titles are affected because of incompetence (or penny-pinching) at the transfer stage? In any event you are right that these errors would be carried over to both the HD DVD and Blu-ray editions - unless SC did corrected transfers for Blu-ray releases.

It is correct that new transfers won't be affected because the frame rate for both HD formats is 24 fps. For example, 'Babel' from Studio Canal will be identical to the USA release in terms of audio pitch.

Hopefully people have complained to SC and they will make efforts to use 24fps soundtracks to go with their 24fps picture.:)

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Studio Canal, via their recently-acquired sales-and-distribution label Optimum, have something of a reputation here in the UK among DVD connoisseurs for penny-pinching and sub-standard SD transfers.

I hope that anyone planning to pick up titles that are otherwise exclusive to one format or the other in the US will proceed with caution.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Is Studio canal also releasing a PAL SD version of these? If so, and they truly ARE penny pinchers, they might just make one audio transfer (for the SD which would be sped up..) and then just digitally slow it down for the HD and BD discs.
Would suck but it's possible. Easier and cheaper to make one mix than 2...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks