What's new

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip - Season One (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the third episode a lot. I think it started strong and has gotten better each week. Disappointed to hear the show's ratings aren't very good, but I have thought from the beginning that it needs a better timeslot. 10 pm on a Monday? Too late. Better to make this a 9 pm show on a different night.

Doesn't the show have a 13-episode committment? I recall reading that NBC was obliged to air 13 episodes. Here's hoping it gets many more than that.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I thought the article was a little slanted.

Most of the new shows have yet to truly take off and find an audience. Monday night at 10e/9c isn't exactly a barn-burner slot for ratings in general.

A number of returning faves (like "NCIS") aren't winning the timeslots they won last season.

The entire premise of "Studio 60" makes it a show that won't be a ginormous ratings success because the show is simply too smart and too intellectual for the common viewer.

We have yet to see a full sketch on the show -- the reason being is that the show isn't about the sketches. The show isn't about behind the scenes at a sketch show, either.

The show is about the way America -- namely red state folks -- view the "liberal" media and how certain demographic groups (like the religious right) are continually becoming less enchanted with television and how writers and network honchos are having to deal with that.

Sorkin's premise is that it has to do with watered-down editorial by networks trying to appeal to conservatives.

Like it or not, this show is sort of an "editorial" on Sorkin's days at NBC on "The West Wing" (around the time he was dismissed).

The show had a liberal slant, and ratings suffered on "The West Wing" after the first season or so -- which many pundits said was because the show was just a bit too liberal for conservatives in middle America.

"Studio 60" is basically saying, "the network brass is wrong and that we are dumbing down our programming to appeal to an unimaginative audience."

That probably is part of the reason the show has suffered in the ratings so far.

Like it or not, there is a reason shows like "JAG" were ratings winners. Some creative types might argue that a show like that is jingoistic, but audiences responded positively to that show.

I absolutely love "Studio 60." I think the preachiness of the show is a bit heavy-handed, but the cast pulls it off terrifically.

The one flaw in the show is this (I hope I can get my point across):

Most liberals and conservatives accept that making fun of all sorts of "sacred cow" topics is acceptable on a comedy show...or within a comedy sketch of some sort.

For example, there is a "reason" liberals and conservatives alike found the Bush and Kerry JibJab cartoon that floated around the internet in 2004 to be funny. It made fun of both candidates, and it was pretty clever.

"Studio 60's" flaw is that it presumes conservatives are a bunch of backward thinking hicks who don't accept satire. That notion is going to alienate a large portion of the viewing audience because it simply isn't true.

Jay Leno and David Letterman have poked fun at both parties for years -- and various religious groups as well.

It is almost as if this show should be about people running a 24-hour news station (like Fox, CNN or MSNBC) instead of a comedy show because the debates over programming they are having seem to be more serious (like on "The West Wing").

It has been my experience that conservatives and liberals accept humor about their views done under the license of satire.

President Bush (W's father) was a big fan of Dana Carvey's portrayal of him on SNL during the late 80s and early 90s.

Religious sketches like "The Church Lady" poked fun at christianity, but were accepted under satirical license.

Considering everything I've said above, I still find "Studio 60" to be the most enjoyable new show on the air so far this season and the one I truly look forward to watching every week.

One problem for NBC is this...

I think many people thought that having "Studio 60" and "30 Rock" on at the same time would hurt "30 Rock." Ironically, I think it might end up being the other way around.

I think people tuning in to "Studio 60" were expecting a show that was going to be more like "30 Rock" is going to be.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
One of my coworkers, admittedly he's a 70+ year old Republican, called the show "slapstick"...which can't be farther from the truth while other people here are saying it's not funny at all. I'm sorry, we've seen brief flashes of the sketches, not the entire thing. How can anyone make a judgement call on them by seeing less than 1% of what has been aired in the show's reality?

Sports Night was genius because it was a half hour show and it embraced wackiness. The episode where Jeremy installs the Y2K fix and blows the lights, for instance. But it also had some very heavy dramatic moments. The Dana/Sally/Casey/the other guy arc, so one.

Studio 60 is not, and I don't think was created as, a comedy. It is a drama with funny "real world" moments thrown in. The sketches, by and large, we have not seen in their entirety. Give "The Godfather" to someone who's never seen it and only let them see a maximum of one minute. While you're at it, throw in a soundtrack so they can barely hear the dialogue. Ten bucks says they won't think its a masterpiece.

So quick to judge...

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I agree, Sam. This show may well play better in an earlier timeslot. The weird thing is, NBC originally scheduled Studio 60 in a 9pm Thursday slot. A few days later ABC announced they were moving Grey's Anatomy to the same time period and I think NBC wisely decided to move it so it wouldn't have to compete with Grey's and CSI.

Personally, I think this would be a great Sunday night program, but since NBC now has NFL on that night, that won't be happening. In a head-to-head with Desperate Housewives or Brothers and Sisters, I'd pick Studio 60 every time.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I think the concerning thing about the ratings isn't the numbers themselves, but the large dropoffs it's been getting week to week which suggests poor retention. I really like the show and hope that NBC keeps it around as a sort of "prestige" product if nothing else.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i think the show is great.

jonny p summed it up nicely.

hmm did i just quote myself:D

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy

I have to agree. The "brilliant" cold opening was anything but brilliant. It was clever, but repeating the same lines in a son over and over again don't make it funnier.

But, I'm willing to let that go, in favor of getting to know the characters. Just as I was willing to let it go in Alias that no one in either the CIA or SD-6 ever monitered the agents cell phones, and overheard all the counter espionage spy stuff.

The characters are interesting, the plots so far have been there, but the main thing for me is the writing and timing of the performances. It's been brilliant. Being a comedy writer myself, I love good comedy writing and timing. And this show has it.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I just don't know that idealism works in what is supposed to be a comedy atmosphere. Obviously, Sorkin's brand of idealistic writing DID work in West Wing - a political drama. What IS Studio 60? It's clearly not comedy - the only thing I laughed at was Paulson's Holly Hunter impression. I guess it's a 'behind the scenes drama'. But, does idealistic writing belong in a 'behind the scenes drama' about TV?

Either Sorkin needs to lighten up, or get a new show. If the ratings keep falling, his decision will be made for him.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
We should focus on the show we have rather than the show it could be, but I have to say the idea of a Studio 60 having a backdrop of something other than a comedy show is interesting, while still providing opportunities to address the same issues.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

Thanks!

By the way...they did hire actual sketch writers to consult on the sketches within the show.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
If anything, NBC would be smart to work with Studio 60 because the show is at least maintaining discussion. I mean, look at us here talking the pros and cons of the show. I'm not seeing a lot of discussion about any new shows this season (except maybe Heroes)... I also checked out The Class and Six Degrees, and whatever the ratings may be for those, the discussion here is nil. I know a passionate and vocal audience does not always mean a show can survive, but if the ratings drop levels off between 8 and 9 million viewers (and gets NBC second place in the time slot), there may be reason enough to keep the show around for at least a season and see if the fans who talk about the show can bring some new eyeballs in.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I read that Mark McKinney of the Kids in the Hall is working on the show.

studio60-guide.com shows credits from NBC that list him as a story editor. I actually haven't read the credits at the end of a broadcast to see this.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I really wish that discussion was all that it took to save a show but sadly it isn't, if that were the case than Veronica Mars would be renewed for another couple of seasons guarenteed because it's one of the most discussed shows on the web.

We can all talk until we're blue in the face about this show but if it isn't bringing in ratings, it's done.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
On ratings...

Many shows -- including "Class" and "Smith" -- have struggled in the ratings and lost viewers every week this season.

In fact, CBS is going to "flip" the timeslots for "Class" and "How I Met Your Mother."

NBC has had a weak lineup for quite a while. Other than the "Law & Order" franchise, they have very few strong returning shows that can provide strong lead-ins for new shows. And that franchise has seen better days.

"Studio 60" is merely following that trend.

To be fair, "Studio 60" is on up against "CSI: Miami" which is apparently the most watched show in the world.

Compared to shows on other nights, "Studio 60's" numbers aren't all that bad.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am still loving this show. I am not surprised at the content of the show. Sorkin has never been subtle in expressing his opinions.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And rightfully so, if that turns out to be the case. Any smart showrunner knows that to keep your show alive you need to write for an audience beyond just himself.

That said, interesting and perhaps enlightening analysis.:emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Speaking only for myself, I ignor all that BS and just look at the show for what it is on the surface...a show about running an SNL-like comedy show, nothing more and nothing less.

I simply choose to ignor Sorkin's various alleged agenda. But it seems that, in this case, the man is being too ambitious for his own good, he's going to get his own show canned with all this i'm sorry to say, IF that's the reason for the falling ratings, not saying that it is, it's possible that people may just not find it interesting enough.

That's what I thought about the pilot but it's gotten better for me since then.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

If you look at shows that are wildly popular, then tend not to be preachy shows.

They might bring up a social issue as a subject of a show -- for example, spousal abuse or breast-cancer awareness -- but those are issues that people agree on.

The real question is how long Sorkin could keep "Studio 60" going without the social debate angle...

I mean, there are only so many episodes that you can do on writer's block and personality conflicts among the actors.

The "preachiness" of the show is part of the engine that makes it run.

There's a reason that there are a million medical and cop shows. Those situations have conflict "built in" -- that's why there have been so many of them over the years.

Let's face it, a show about a sketch show really doesn't have built-in conflict. So, in order to create conflict Sorkin has to have a situation where the writers are facing challenges -- both internally and externally.

Having the show within a show under fire from the religious right is one way of creating external tension that the characters must face.

This isn't "ER" where a bunch of people are sick and dying. This isn't "Law & Order" where a crime is committed or someone gets killed.

As such, the writers have to create tension.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I think that question should actually be how long can Sorkin keep "Studio 60" going WITH the social debate angle?

Not long if the ratings continue to plummet.

Personally, I think that much could be done with this subject without all the social stuff and as much as I like the show right now I still maintain that it would have been better served if it had been a straight comedy instead of a drama where it's necessary to be serious. So, in short, i'm agreeing that not much can be done with this particular subject as a drama if they don't add the social commentary angle.

But there was another way to go...

Story and longevity wise the creative ground is more fertile in the comedic realm rather than the dramatic realm and it wouldn't really be necessary to go the social route...it's only requirment is that it needs to be funny. Granted, that's an "easy out" solution for this show, but it also happens to be an out that I think would work better for this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks