What's new

Streets of San Francisco (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have Seasons 1-5 on DVD and love this show. It is too bad that Dan Robbins character was not given more time with the show as i feel that he could have been more accepted by fans.

There were also some amazing guess actors through out the run. I also really like Darlene Carr's acting as Stone's daughter, especially her interaction with Karl Malden.

I have the Streets up there with Adam-12, Hawaii Five-O, etc as some of the best crime dramas of all-time!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I decided to watch S3 again and it i amazing how good the Streets was a series!

Duane Alford

Second Unit
I'm surprised that Amazon has ran one day sales for complete series sets of Hawaii Five-O and Emergency!, but you never see the Streets of San Francisco sets on sale. I figure all five seasons would run almost $200, if they ever run a sale, I might consider picking up the series.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I decided to watch S1 episode starring Michael Glaeser, instead of Paul-Michael Glaeser again as I like this episode as it is well done! Many of the Streets episodes are very good! I just feel sorry for Richard Hatch as he was never given much of a chance as the Streets was done after S5.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I purchased the all in one complete series set of Streets Of S.F., received it today. The way the set is packaged is terrible, I'm keeping the outer box and the two slipcases but I removed the discs from the hubs on those awful plastic disc trays/holders, disposed of those and placed the discs in paper envelopes, different color envelopes for each season. Red for season 1, blue for season 2, green for season 3, yellow for season 4, and black for season 5. Seasons 1-3 fit in the larger slipcase and seasons 4-5 fit in the smaller slipcase. I like this much better.

Streets Of S.F. is a great series, similar to Cannon as both are Quinn Martin series.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I purchased the all in one complete series set of Streets Of S.F., received it today. The way the set is packaged is terrible, I'm keeping the outer box and the two slipcases but I removed the discs from the hubs on those awful plastic disc trays/holders, disposed of those and placed the discs in paper envelopes, different color envelopes for each season. Red for season 1, blue for season 2, green for season 3, yellow for season 4, and black for season 5. Seasons 1-3 fit in the larger slipcase and seasons 4-5 fit in the smaller slipcase. I like this much better.

Streets Of S.F. is a great series, similar to Cannon as both are Quinn Martin series.

I thought your copy was packaged the same as mine as it was illustrated in that picture I showed you on another thread.

Nonetheless, the way your copy came (apparently different to mine, the way you describe it), that's a smart move to color-code the seasons for ease of knowing which is which, or possibly finding a specific episode to come back to; I might do likewise on my copy of that Wild Wild West all-in-one sooner or later (or at least try to, being that mine is all in one case, instead of two cases).

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I thought your copy was packaged the same as mine as it was illustrated in that picture I showed you on another thread.

Nonetheless, the way your copy came (apparently different to mine, the way you describe it), that's a smart move to color-code the seasons for ease of knowing which is which, or possibly finding a specific episode to come back to; I might do likewise on my copy of that Wild Wild West all-in-one sooner or later (or at least try to, being that mine is all in one case, instead of two cases).

I thought I would post here as to not have the other thread (Lou Grant) drift off topic.

Yes, the set I received has slightly different packaging compared to yours, mine has removable plastic trays/disc holders. They're cheap looking and I didn't like them so they went in the trash can. I'm glad you like the idea of putting the discs in paper envelopes and color coding by season.

Comparing Streets Of S.F. to Cannon, Streets seems to be a little higher budgeted, looks like a little more money went into the production of Streets. In car terms, Streets is like a Cadillac while Cannon is like an Oldsmobile. :laugh:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm glad you like the idea of putting the discs in paper envelopes and color coding by season.

Much appreciated on that score! Of course, some releases come automatically color-coded to which season is which, as with the original version of the all-in-one of Arthur Hailey's Hotel from VEI/CBS DVD...

hotelcolorcoding.jpg

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Yes, I like how the Hotel series is packaged with the different color scheme for each season. I'm not really a fan of the show so I don't think I want the DVD's, but the packaging is attractive.

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
For those interested, the not-on-dvd "Return to the Streets of San Francisco" made-for-tv movie is airing tomorrow 1/20 on the Movies! network. It's a sub-channel on one of my local stations that I get over-the-air with my antenna. I've added the link below with tomorrow's schedule. There is a Where to Watch link on the page that will tell you if the station is available in your area. I see it is available by some cable companies as well.

https://moviestvnetwork.com/schedule/?date=01/20/2019#calendar

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I am always reading how fans disliked Richard Hatch as Dan Robbins and that killed Streets of San Fran - but considering Karl Malden and Mike Douglas had a real almost uncle / nephew relationship that special chemistry could never be replaced, that said the new pairing of Karl and Richard was perfectly o.k. for me and they made Dan Robbins a different enough character not a clone of Steve Keller

so we could see veteran detective Mike Stone doing what he originally had done years before with Steve and once more making a detective out of his new young sidekick while the fifth season scripts were all perfectly fine - to me there is NO drop off in story quality indeed 'Let's Pretend Were Strangers', 'Hot Dog' (with a young Don Johnson) 'Who Killed Helen French ?' were excellent episodes as good as anything earlier

maybe some fans just pine for departed actors too much ? (the same in Rock bands re ex-members etc) certainly 'Streets' was worth another season with Mike and Dan

tho' maybe the show simply had by five seasons run it's natural course ?

they might have ended up just doing re-writes of earlier episodes

whatever I love ALL five seasons and as Karl Malden once said beyond the regular cast the 'other star of our show'...was San Francisco as it was then like New York had been in 'Naked City' earlier

these classic Police shows remain captivating...and a fascinating window in time back to those famous cities as they were back then

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I am always reading how fans disliked Richard Hatch as Dan Robbins and that killed Streets of San Fran - but considering Karl Malden and Mike Douglas had a real almost uncle / nephew relationship that special chemistry could never be replaced, that said the new pairing of Karl and Richard was perfectly o.k. for me and they made Dan Robbins a different enough character not a clone of Steve Keller

That's another way to put it-- an uncle/nephew relationship! The popular consensus of Stone/Keller is father/son, my view is brothers, and you see it yet another new way with that uncle to nephew-- that's pretty perceptive!

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
Just bought this series today for $20. Great deal. I probably saw it some when I was a kid but really don’t remember it at all. I like Michael Douglas as an actor. Richard Hatch also. And I’m a big fan of 60’s, 70’s and 80’s shows so I’m fairly certain I’ll like this one too.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Just bought this series today for $20. Great deal. I probably saw it some when I was a kid but really don’t remember it at all. I like Michael Douglas as an actor. Richard Hatch also. And I’m a big fan of 60’s, 70’s and 80’s shows so I’m fairly certain I’ll like this one too.

Glad you were able to get to it for that great $20 bargain!

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I own the five sets from The Streets of San Francisco and I consider that series as the best seventies series
produced by Quinn Martin and among his old man detective series.
The first season of The Streets and the pilot in particular are the cream of the crop. "Buddy boy."

Pat Williams - Frisco Cars (1972)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
For the anecdote, the basic storyline for the season 1 "Bitter Wine" (guest starring Nehemiah Persoff, Scott Marlowe, Michael Glaser,
Donna Baccala) is actually a rework from two Gunsmoke episodes entitled "The Pretender" (episode #10, season 11) and "Blood Money" (episode #19, season 13). Both Gunsmoke episodes guest stars Nehemiah Persoff.

For the review of "The Pretender", see the following thread:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/wanted-gunsmoke-cbs-1955-1975.360711/page-2

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Watch an action-packed clip from the season 1 “The Thirty-Year Pin"
that make you understand that only actors Karl Malden and Michael Douglas can do it.
Impossible to see that in any other QM's detective series of the era.

Pat Williams - The Thirty-Year Pin (1972)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Watch an action-packed clip from the season 1 “The Thirty-Year Pin"
that make you understand that only actors Karl Malden and Michael Douglas can do it.
Impossible to see that in any other QM's detective series of the era.

Pat Williams - The Thirty-Year Pin (1972)

And one major reason why Streets has been the only QM that I have ever finished on DVD (that including the fifth and final Hatch-as-Robbins go); also because this one was more fast-paced than other QMs, and got right to the action, without all the boring exposition of The Fugitive or Cannon.

Last edited:

Jasper70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harold
I like Richard Hatch mainly because of the original BSG so I am looking forward to seeing him in this show. I know he’s just the fifth season replacement but that is one of the reasons I bought the set.
Even H50 has some good final season episodes with their new replacement characters.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
WIkipedia says that for that last season, ABC moved Streets back an hour, where it was competing with “Barnaby Jones”, another QM production. The ratings fell, and that combined with rising production costs and the need to do a new contract with Karl Malden, ABC cancelled it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks