street date question (re: Cary Grant films)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by george kaplan, Dec 2, 2003.

1. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

There are some upcoming Cary Grant movies (I was a Male War Bride, etc.) that have (or at least had) a street date of Jan. 6.

Today, I saw four of these (Born to be Bad, I was a Male War Bride, Kiss them for Me and People Will Talk) on sale at a store (that will remain nameless for the moment to adhere to forum rules).

For a variety of reasons I have to wonder if the street date has been changed, or if this store might have permission to sell them early.

This isn't a case of a big name title coming out the Friday before street date.

- this is a member only store, so it doesn't compete with many others

- this store doesn't break street date, new dvds are never put out until Tuesday

- I was told by a manager that their computer doesn't allow them to come out before street date (this may or may not be true)

- this isn't some big title, they're all deep catalog $8.99 films, with a limited audience

- these are out over month before street date.

It just doesn't make sense to me that this store would violate their own policy and put these small titles out 5 weeks before street date.

Has the street date changed? Do they have permission to sell them early? Or are they indeed breaking street date for some strange reason?

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

According to the Fox press site, the street date has NOT changed.

I too was amazed to find these at the same store you are referring to. Right next to Alien Quadrilogy, in fact.

Do they have special permission? Possibly, but how would one know?

My suggestion is that if you want 'em, buy 'em!

3. george kaplan

Oh, I bought the ones I was interested in [​IMG] , but I just was wondering what the deal was.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Looks like I have to wait until January since I don't have any of those stores in my immediate area.

5. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Supporting Actor

Same situation at the same store in Southern California.

Thanks for the excellent tip, George.

6. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tip also. I bought all 4 Grant titles.

This store has always had a thing going with 20th Fox. They had a batch of those reissued 5 Star Collection titles that no one else had. They also were offering Sunrise in special packages. I guess they were given an exclusive on the 4 Cary Grant titles for a month. Best Buy has an exclusive for a few months on that Rolling Stones DVD. This could be happening a lot more in the future as big retail chains use their power to make special promotions.

7. george kaplan

Well if it is an approved exclusive window, then it isn't really breaking street date, and it raises the question of whether the Moderators would OK naming the store.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

9. george kaplan

Fair enough. I think this would be of interest only to a small handful of people anyway, and if any such person can't figure it out, send me (or one of the other participants in this thread) a pm.