What's new

Streaming vs Cable vs Physical Media (1 Viewer)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Towergrove:

I am humbly in awe of your expansive knowledge of this market; thank you so much for the valuable insights and information!

Darby

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Towergrove said:
Yes I'm counting all DigitalHD electronic sell thru. This includes UV and iTunes. While iTunes has been selling movies since 2005 I expect we will see a continued increase of their sell thru. I like iTunes for many of their tv series. The quality of the files have been excellent as of late.
So my original statement (as intended anyway, I can see how it would have been misinterpreted) is that UV has still not released any numbers other than total accounts registered and as such it remains completely impossible to make any determination whether they are gaining or crashing on anything other than people registering free codes bundled with disks. They could have sold zero EST and still been credited in with the growth of that category above.As a parallel this is like saying CC sold X number of DIVX capable decks in a month back in the day. That's interesting to know but gave no insight into what actually matters: Are people paying for software or not. Clearly they were not and that was hidden up until the day CC cancelled the program. UV is doing the same thing and that should be a clear warning sign to anyone considering anything more than registering codes they get for free.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
So my original statement (as intended anyway, I can see how it would have been misinterpreted) is that UV has still not released any numbers other than total accounts registered and as such it remains completely impossible to make any determination whether they are gaining or crashing on anything other than people registering free codes bundled with disks. They could have sold zero EST and still been credited in with the growth of that category above.As a parallel this is like saying CC sold X number of DIVX capable decks in a month back in the day. That's interesting to know but gave no insight into what actually matters: Are people paying for software or not. Clearly they were not and that was hidden up until the day CC cancelled the program. UV is doing the same thing and that should be a clear warning sign to anyone considering anything more than registering codes they get for free.
Yes I agree. If you look at my original post #10 I indicated Electronic Sell Thru. This category includes iTunes, UV and other which I guess are now under the DigitalHD moniker umbrella.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Darby67 said:
Towergrove: I am humbly in awe of your expansive knowledge of this market; thank you so much for the valuable insights and information! Darby
Thanks Darby I only know what I read and study up on during my lunchtime on my ipad. As a buyer of both physical and digital mediums from DVD, BD and Digital HD I am interested in the numbers and where things are going for those of us who prefer to purchase and/or rent our mediums in whatever format we choose. I appreciate the kind words.

dochsal

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Smith
5 years back itunes was available in stores 40% off , right now hardly you can find 15% so you pay almost full price they asking for, same prices on vudu but vudu codes you can find online 50% off sometimes even for $1.99 per $4.99 movie credits, so you pay even 70% off. Vudu just started so we have huge nice way to save our $$ till they rise the prices for sure soon ...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
When you redeem a coupon from a Blu-ray that includes a free iTunes or UV copy, is that redemption considered a "sale" in the numbers/percentages cited? Or are they genuine new sales made exclusively online? Or do we not know?

I'd also be curious to know (though somewhat offtopic) what percentage of coupons given away with discs are actually redeemed. For me, I redeem them all even though I rarely use them, but I wonder how many people don't bother.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Between Amazon Prime and Netflix, I can't imagine needing to buy TV series on iTunes.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
bigshot said:
Between Amazon Prime and Netflix, I can't imagine needing to buy TV series on iTunes.
Not all series are on Amazon and Netflix. Many new shows take months after their broadcast to show up but they are usually available the next day on itunes. Also many people prefer to buy their favourite shows because they may not always be on the streaming systems.

dochsal

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Smith
so for me vudu looks the best deal these days ... with discounted movie credits almost same prices like redbox

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
dochsal said:
so for me vudu looks the best deal these days ... with discounted movie credits almost same prices like redbox
Dochsal, VUDU has been looking wonderful these recent days. My preferred service for purchasing movies and tv series.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't watch cable anymore, even though it's included with my rent, and I rarely even watch a movie on disc. I have kept about 30 blu- rays. which are mostly limited to my absolute favorites, or films which haven't been released with UV rights, like the Star Wars Saga, the Indy trilogy, Back to the Future trilogy, a few Disney films, and Avatar, Sixth Sense, etc. I gave away the vast majority of my physical collection, and let me tell you, it feels good! To have all the recovered space is a wonderful feeling. I like minimalism a lot. I've stopped buying new Disney films because they aren't UV enabled.

I use a roku for most of my viewing. I use Netflix, Amazon Prime, vudu, Target Ticket, The Blaze, CrunchyRoll, NewsMax TV, TwiT, and TED, I cancelled hulu because I'm not going to pay for something that includes so many ads.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Joshua Clinard said:
I don't watch cable anymore, even though it's included with my rent, and I rarely even watch a movie on disc. I have kept about 30 blu- rays. which are mostly limited to my absolute favorites, or films which haven't been released with UV rights, like the Star Wars Saga, the Indy trilogy, Back to the Future trilogy, a few Disney films, and Avatar, Sixth Sense, etc. I gave away the vast majority of my physical collection, and let me tell you, it feels good! To have all the recovered space is a wonderful feeling. I like minimalism a lot. I've stopped buying new Disney films because they aren't UV enabled. I use a roku for most of my viewing. I use Netflix, Amazon Prime, vudu, Target Ticket, The Blaze, CrunchyRoll, NewsMax TV, TwiT, and TED, I cancelled hulu because I'm not going to pay for something that includes so many ads.
Joshua you are still big into UV though correct? What percentage of your total collection were you able to get via UV?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I tried Netflix last night on the Xbox 360(bought it at a pawn shop with 5 games for $140. They had 20).Sucked. Buffered like crazy. Same internet through the iPad worked great.Granted the 360 was set 1080p and the iPad defaults to 720p.With more than enough bandwidth, shouldn't have been an issue.Had already used the 360 for Flight and Enter the Void. Those were fine.Still irritated the 360 can't do DD+ on apps(or, at least not Netflix).

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have about 550 movies with UV rights on vudu. There are about 100 other movies (Disney, MGM etc.) that I'd like to have. Some I have on iTunes, or Blu-ray, some I don't have at all. But it means that I have about 80% of the movies I want to own. That's a pretty good ratio for UV being only 2 years old.

P

Patrick Donahue

schan1269 said:
I tried Netflix last night on the Xbox 360(bought it at a pawn shop with 5 games for $140. They had 20).Sucked. Buffered like crazy. Same internet through the iPad worked great.Granted the 360 was set 1080p and the iPad defaults to 720p.With more than enough bandwidth, shouldn't have been an issue.Had already used the 360 for Flight and Enter the Void. Those were fine.Still irritated the 360 can't do DD+ on apps(or, at least not Netflix).
For some reason I experience a lot of buffering when streaming Vudu thru my PS4, but not my Roku, even though they sit next to eachother...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
They need to go beyond caveman Dolby Digital because if I will not buy a title on Blu-ray with Dolby Digital why would I want to listen to it on a internet stream? I so far am avoiding streaming for casual viewing until we get a better option for audio. Movies that I purchase will always be on a physical media!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dave Moritz said:
They need to go beyond caveman Dolby Digital because if I will not buy a title on Blu-ray with Dolby Digital why would I want to listen to it on a internet stream? I so far am avoiding streaming for casual viewing until we get a better option for audio. Movies that I purchase will always be on a physical media!
Let me guess...You pity people that put up with laser disc...

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
What is so bad about Dobly Digital? It's much better than what we had in the 90's. UltraViolet supports Dolby Digital Plus, 7.1, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.