What's new

Strategic Air Command (1955). How bout Jimmy Stewart and the B-36 on Blu? (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Matt Hough said:
One thing I thought was true about VistaVision was that it was a flexible format that could allow 1.66:1 up to 2:1 framing. So, if one of these digital options is 1.78:1, that wouldn't be pan and scan. It would just be a formatting option available with a VistaVision original. It would probably look quite good at 1.78:1.
Most VistaVision was projected at 1.85. Where this fellow is getting that it's pan and scan is anyone's guess and makes no sense. 1.78 in VistaVision is fine and NOT pan-and-scan.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I think I should pull out that widescreen laser disc and have another look at it - besides the rather uplifting music score during the flight sequences there is always the dialog, such as harry Morgan saying " they're all sharp tools" commenting about the select crew members.on the B 36. I should try for some screen shots from my 42" lcd tv for comparison. I noticed IMDB lists it at 1:66 - Paramount of course has it listed at the proper 1:75 on the back cover of the LD which was released at the tail end of the format in 1998. One listed currently on Ebay for 95.00, and some complain about 30.00 blu rays.....

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Stewart/Mann did well at the box office.

#33 - Winchester '73 $2.25 (more than "The Third Man")

#13 - Bend of the River $3.0 (within $0.2 of "The Quiet Man")

#3 - The Glenn Miller Story $7.0 (more than "Rear Window")

#7 - Strategic Air Command $6.5 (same as "Lady and the Tramp" & more than "A Star Is Born" & The Seven Year Itch")

#29 - The Man from Laramie $3.3

Stefano B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stefano
Robert Harris said:
A very expensive restoration
I believe the reason behind Warner's withholding The Naked Spur (or, for that matter, Universal's similar attitude to the other three Mann-Stewart westerns) is the same. Is my guess right, Mr. Harris?

billw6560

Grip
Real Name
Bill Walch
Just a quick comment about Pan & Scan, not so much related to Strategic Air Command, but in general. My original comment was referring to what's been shown on several cable channels. I do believe that there is a restored and/or HD transfer somewhere for SAC but the powers that be has decided to only release a Pan & Scan version on HD cable, perhaps for fear of it being distributed in the "either" for free. So, please release it on Blu-Ray and I'll buy it.

Also, I've been following IMDB since its birth, and I have to say that it's fairly accurate, especially with the nitty production details, including reported aspect ratios. I've seen various movies that have multiple aspect ratios and running time reported. I have no doubt that these are accurate, and most likely occurred because perhaps the studios released them slightly differently at various release dates and/or regions. If you folks remember early VCR releases, one trick the studios pulled off, was to edit and or remove minor scenes or dialog passages in the VCR release to differentiate it from the theatrical release, probably to identify the source of the movie if it was the subject of a pirate copy.

In the case of SAC and the Video Disk release, it is entirely feasible that the studio had a master print that was 1.75 versus the slightly narrower 1.66 that IMDB reports. In the 1.75 case, they may have mastered it in the Video Disk because it was new, and was meant to demonstrate how superior Video Disk was to VCR versions. I know this, because I sold this stuff at retail in the late 70's. I can go on and on about this FUBAR product release, but that's for a different discussion. I still have my Pioneer VDP that has AC3 audio.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. An unrelated side bar regarding this forums editor. With all the bells and whistles available, how about a spell checker?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
This is off topic, but aviation buffs here may want to pick up the new Universal MOD DVD of A Gathering of Eagles (1963). It's a SAC drama with lots of great B-52 footage and a nice transfer as well. Rock Hudson, Rod Taylor, and Robert Lansing star.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Just FYI.....the "other" site has Strategic Air Command listed for a January 2017 release by Olive Films. Unless I've missed something, that's the first I've seen of a BD release.

EDIT: Amazon has pre-order up with an October 18th release date.

161153_large.jpg

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I wonder if this is going to fall within Olive's new premium releases? I'm not sure if the $29.95 price is typical of Olive's standard releases.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Just FYI.....the "other" site has Strategic Air Command listed for a January 2017 release by Olive Films. Unless I've missed something, that's the first I've seen of a BD release.

161153_large.jpg

Thanks, this is very surprising - I am not sure how happy I should be about this disc that most probably will be another subpar release of a VistaVision title owned by Paramount. It is what it is I guess and hopefully my modest expectations will be exceeded.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The Olive VistaVision releases are a mixed bag but it is certainly welcome. The BBC showed a superb print of The Seven Little Foys recently so I have hopes that other VV titles are out there HD ready.

Unfortunately Paramount does not control The Seven Little Foys. It belongs to the Hope Estate.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. This welcome news is just too cool for school!!

I'll put this in my Amazon cart but will await the official HTF order link from Ronald Epstein to place the order.
Nice to see one of my "if wishes were horses " postings become reality.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Some actual pics of a B-36 (at the Strategic Air Command Museum when it was near Offutt AFB, now located near Lincoln, NE). Please pardon my goofy mug (I was in the B-36 cockpit).
Only two pics here but I have about 7 more I need to scan, once I get my film scanner up & running again.

Memories1990_Hank_B36-Pilot.jpg
Memories1990_SACMuseum_B36.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks