Strategic Air Command (1955). How bout Jimmy Stewart and the B-36 on Blu?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kyrsten Brad, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Just was wondering about this title as I have not seen it ever released on DVD (it did get a VHS release long ago). Strategic Air Command starred Jimmy Stewart as a major league baseball pitcher recalled to USAF active duty. It also featured June Allyson.
    I'd just love to see those B-36 action shots on Blu. And Jimmy Stewart too.

Six Turnin & Four Burnin!!

or
    Two Turnin, Two Burnin, Two Jokin and Two Smokin with two engines unaccounted for.

StrategicAirCommand.jpg
    Wiki Excerpt:

Strategic Air Command is a 1955 American film starring James Stewart and June Allyson, and directed by Anthony Mann. Released by Paramount Pictures, it was the first of four films that depicted the role of the Strategic Air Command in the Cold War era.
    The film was the second film released in Paramount's new wide-screen system, VistaVision, in color by Technicolor and Perspecta directional sound. It would also be Stewart and Mann's eighth and final collaboration and the third of three movies that paired Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson, the others being The Stratton Story and The Glenn Miller Story.

skylark68 and LeoA like this.
  2. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Being a Paramount VistaVision production, SAC is likely to be released on disc via their distribution agreements with either Warner or Olive Films...let's hope it's Warner, since they do a better job of presenting their catalog titles...

3. PatrickDA

PatrickDA Stunt Coordinator

I want as many Anthony Mann titles on blu-ray as possible. So, I certainly hope this film gets released.

Rodney likes this.
  4. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

I hope they include the three-channel Perspecta track.

I once had a 35mm print and played it through a restored integrator. Most of the audio was center channel but when the planes took off, the gain level increased and all three speakers kicked in.

It was VERY dramatic and those B-36 planes really shook the room!

Will Krupp and Kyrsten Brad like this.
  5. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    HELLO OLIVE!!!!

6. Kyrsten Brad

Brad
    Here's a YouTube excerpt of a B-36 takeoff. I believe it might be from the film.

Oh and you'll hear actor Harry Morgan (of MASH fame) in there as one of the crew.

7. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    I think Gunfight at the OK Corral is the only VistaVision film to be released this year. Still hoping for High Society amongst many others.

8. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Producer

Byron
    One of cinema's great screen couples - June Allyson & James Stewart. All of their films together are very special and deserve their chance on Blu. :)

10383079_10152277462212779_1848389691520919497_n.jpg 10420296_10152290734347779_5868315165141399028_n.jpg

9. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    Would LOVE for Universal to release "The Glenn Miller Story" on blu-ray...

10. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    The Glenn Miller Story is being released on blu-ray in Germany on 24 July.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  11. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Ditto The Benny Goodman Story. But are they all-region, or just Europe? It doesn't say on Amazon.

12. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Well, hello there, Allen......
    olive.jpg

In all honesty, Strategic Air Command isn't one of my favorites but I'd love any chance to own a well transferred VistaVision title on blu, so I'm in!

AnthonyClarke and ahollis like this.
  13. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I don't remember if I've ever seen this film, but I remember seeing Bombers B-52 on TV as a youth. I'd be interested in seeing both on blu ray! This reminds me I need to get the DVD of Bombers B-52.

14. Kyrsten Brad

Brad
    Folks interested in this movie might find this particular video presentation rather interesting. It is a actual history of SAC and the B-36.
    But I still want the movie "Strategic Air Command" on blu. I see that Vudu has it available as a HDX instant video.

15. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Vistavsion-Strategic-for-we.jpg

16. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

I have the hard to find 1998 remastered widescreen 1:75 version on laserdisc and it looks quite good for the medium and i would think a blu ray would be exceptional. It was manufactured and distributed by Pioneer, it mentions "digital sound" but that is it so I have no idea if it is stereo or not.

17. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

Apparently one of the few VistaVision productions that were released with 8-perf prints, must have looked quite spectacular.There is a HD version out that looks dreadful so this would have to be redone - not likely to happy anytime soon if current Paramount catalog release policy is anything to go by. On top of that it is a relatively obscure title, even One Eyed Jacks probably has a better shot at being released.

18. PatrickDA

PatrickDA Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps, box office totals don't mention much in today's DVD/Blu-ray market, but "Strategic Air Command" was tied for seventh place in terms of film rentals in 1955 ($6.5 million, which means it grossed about double that).

Bob Furmanek likes this.
  19. billw6560

billw6560 New User

Bill Walch
    For all the technology that's currently available out there, there's no good reason why the studios can't release these movies either via on-line purchases for download, or burn-on-demand. Great movies like Strategic Air Command could be made available (distributed) at very little cost through direct sales, with no distribution costs (and their associated markups).

Like downloadable music, services like iTunes (not that I'm a fan of them) or something similar could make these available because they have the infrastructure to handle it. Price a movie reasonably, say for a flat $9.95 (or even lower) for an HD version, and they'll sell boatloads of them, and like music, price it low, and the notion of bootlegging kind of goes away. For example, a 2 hour Blu-Ray (HD) movie ripped and converted at ~5-6 MB/s is about 5-6 GB in size, well within a reasonable size for downloading, and still getting quite a good picture, even on a 60" HDTV. No, this isn't a Blu-Ray 1:1, but its certainly better than a low def DVD.

Being of the baby boomer generation, many of these 50's and 60's (and earlier) films are still fresh in our minds, where the current 18 to 35 demographic doesn't know, and probably doesn't even care that these films exist. They rather see the latest CGI, and not the works of Ray Harryhausen or George Pal. The studios can either tap into this large market segment (while it still can) and make it a good revenue generator, or not. If not, we all loose.

20. xRighteous

xRighteous Extra

Alex
    Yes please! I'd love to own a blu-ray version :)