What's new

Strategic Air Command (1955) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
161153_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

john a hunter

Screenwriter
No details about whether it has been properly restored and why 1.66?.
It was the first VV widely(pun intended) shown horizontally at 1.85.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Can't say I'm happy with the cover art (is it final?). Guess I've been spoiled by Twilight Time, Criterion and more recenty Kino Lorber. Big heads aren't very imaginative but it's the movie that's important, not the jacket so I'm just happy that we're finally getting it.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just rented the version on Vudu about a month ago and loved it - I'll be happy to add this disc to my collection. For what it's worth, their HD stream was 16x9 and looked pretty okay. It didn't scream "large format film" but I was satisfied. And if the disc is based on the same master (which seems likely), I'll be satisfied with it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
No details about whether it has been properly restored and why 1.66?.
It was the first VV widely(pun intended) shown horizontally at 1.85.
Where are you getting that it will be 1.66:1? The HD streaming version is 1.78:1 and I would assume the Blu-ray will be the same.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The Perspecta track on this one is excellent!

I doubt the Blu-ray will have it. I'm not even sure Paramount has a decoded copy of it. We offered to do it years ago but they weren't interested.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thrilled to hear about Strategic Air Command and hope the source elements make for a good presentation on Blu...between this and Kino's Night People, (which should look Great) two very good '50s Cold War Hollywood films I must have in my collection...

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I just rented the version on Vudu about a month ago and loved it - I'll be happy to add this disc to my collection. For what it's worth, their HD stream was 16x9 and looked pretty okay. It didn't scream "large format film" but I was satisfied. And if the disc is based on the same master (which seems likely), I'll be satisfied with it.

So far none of the discs of large format movies from Olive screamed large format, sometimes it was not even a whisper ;)

We have to be realisitic: If Paramount had spent money on a 4k scan of the OCN and all the works then they would have released it themselves. That Olive is releasing it shows that they will get what is available at modest cost to them and at no cost to Paramount.

Strategic Air Command was one of the movies that showed off the VistaVision process very well and there were even horizontal prints and cinemas equipped to show them so one might have hoped for a bit more of an effort. But then Paramount is not in the buisiness of making the best out of their VistaVision library, just some good old money with what they have.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
So far none of the discs of large format movies from Olive screamed large format, sometimes it was not even a whisper ;)

We have to be realisitic: If Paramount had spent money on a 4k scan of the OCN and all the works then they would have released it themselves. That Olive is releasing it shows that they will get what is available at modest cost to them and at no cost to Paramount.

Strategic Air Command was one of the movies that showed off the VistaVision process very well and there were even horizontal prints and cinemas equipped to show them so one might have hoped for a bit more of an effort. But then Paramount is not in the buisiness of making the best out of their VistaVision library, just some good old money with what they have.
The Olive Blu-ray of The Geisha Boy looks darn good to me. I love the A/B roll opticals too.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The Olive Blu-ray of The Geisha Boy looks darn good to me. I love the A/B roll opticals too.

Yes, that is probably their best release of a VistaVision movie. While I do not think that is is on the same level as White Christmas, To Catch a Thief or The Ten Commandments I would be thrilled if Strategic Air Command looked as good as The Geisha Boy!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I have seen Houseboat and Artists and Models in HD and Artists and Models looked to be about on par with The Geisha Boy, very nice. Houseboat on the other hand looked really bad and not like it was shot in VistaVision.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't seen The Geisha Boy or Artists and Models, but they'd have to be pretty superb to get past To Catch a Thief or The Ten Commandments, and White Christmas is pretty wonderful, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks