What's new

Strange set up in new home. What is this???? (1 Viewer)

arsondog31

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
So I just moved to a new home (to us). There is a prewired room upstairs that I assume is for an in home theater. But the wiring is blowing my mind. Can anybody tell me what is going on? It's all very basic speaker wire in electrical boxes. Nothing fancy. I get the feeling the room was wired but never used. There are six electical boxes in the walls in this one big room. The TV side has one box down low and two up high, left and right. The back of the room has one box down low and two up high, left and right as well. Here's the strange part, some of the boxes have two speaker wires and some just have a full loop coming through the box.... I"m not sure what to do with two wires in one box or with the boxes that have a loop? The loops make me think the room was wired but not used. Which loops do I cut and use? And why is there a low box on both front and back of the room? Any ideas? Thanks much, Steve
18b1c70f_IMG_1512.jpeg
4591e6db_IMG_1513.jpeg

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Just a guess of course, 1 low, 2 high in front = 1 center, and 2 smaller speakers mounted up high 1 low, 2 high in back = 1 subwoofer and 2 surround speakers OR....the same as the other side in case they weren't sure where the tv/screen was going? Which ones have the loops? Tom V.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Do you know where the other ends of the wires are? You're going to have to figure out which ends of the wires match up to the other ends unless they are labeled. The loops are kind of strange. There must be two ends for each loop. Maybe they just didn't finish pulling the wires all the way out of the wall. In any event, there is no way to use a loop so you have to either find both ends of the wires, cut them and figure out which one to use or pull them all out and start over again. If the lower one in the back is a subwoofer they must have planned on using (an inferior) passive subwoofer. BTW, speakers up that high generally don't sound as good as those placed a little lower. And there shouldn't be that large of a gap in height between the fronts and the center. Makes vocals sound like they're coming from three different places. But, sometimes you have to work with what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks