Strange problem, need some help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by mike di, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. mike di

    mike di Auditioning

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2003
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Alright, so i buy this home theater system. i hook it up to my tv, and my tv has my xbox, dvd player, and vcr plugged into it. It works fine for a little bit, then it just seems to die, no matter what im doing, i could just be listening to music and it would just shut off. not even the little stand by light would be on. Its really really wierd.

    I have a phillips mx 3550 dvd/reciever,xbox, sylvania el cheapo vcr, sanyo dvd that i bought about 2 years ago, and my xbox all plugged into 1 $30 Wal-mart power bar. oh and the woofer for the reciever.

    I tried using different inputs/outputs. i tried my other speakers, i tried disabling the surround and making it just stereo(FL,FR,Sub), but after about 30 minutes of useage, it dies.then i have to wait a bit to turn it back on, then it cuts out in an even shorter length of time. im thinking it has something to do with the cooling. like it has a circut or something that cuts it if it "overheats". any help appriciated and thx in advance.[​IMG]
     
  2. ColinM

    ColinM Cinematographer

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2001
    Messages:
    2,057
    Likes Received:
    0
    Faulty hardware, or bad wiring. Make sure all of the speaker connections are solid, with new 16ga or better wire with no splices.

    What system did you buy?
     
  3. mike di

    mike di Auditioning

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2003
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    all the speakers are set up with good wiring, except for 1 speaker. i had to use some older wire i found in a box somewhere for my 1 speaker because i had to wire it around a door. its in pretty bad shape and the sound comes through a little distorted.

    What do you mean what system?
     
  4. Jack Briggs

    Jack Briggs Executive Producer

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 1999
    Messages:
    16,740
    Likes Received:
    129
    If you think the problem lies with the unit overheating you might tell us just where the system is located and how much ventilation it receives.
     
  5. mike di

    mike di Auditioning

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2003
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    its in a tv cabinet, the back is all open and its on a wall. and there is about 9" between the shelves.
     
  6. Ted Lee

    Ted Lee Lead Actor

    Joined:
    May 8, 2001
    Messages:
    8,399
    Likes Received:
    0
    weird. it sounds like you have enough ventilation. maybe a faulty thermal protection circuit?

    heck, take the thing back and get a new one.

    are you cranking the thing really loud? [​IMG]
     

Share This Page