Strange coincidence

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Don't know who to share this with other than the fine folks at AHL but I had a weird coincidence yesterday. I have never had this happen before and probably never will again.

Well, while I was away climbing big mountains in the Cascades and the Sierras out west, my REI watch battery died, so I returned to a dead watch. Well I replaced the battery last night and I went to correct the time and to my complete astonishment, I, was literally ON THE RIGHT TIME!!!!!! The REI watch is an analog watch which happened to be at 6:27 and that is EXACTLY the time I replaced the battery on it.. OMG, I should go play the lottery now...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jay

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I was watching a season 2 episode of the 4400 the other day on DVD, and the date in that one episode just happened to be the actual date (July 28th).

--
    H

3. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Ha, I watched that episode last night. I love that show

4. Scott_Sch

Scott_Sch Stunt Coordinator

I had a similar type of time related coincedence. Lighting storm knocked out electricity during the night. My alarm clock is this really bright blue light, so once it started flashing it actually woke me up. In that middle of the night half awake/half dazed frame of mind I hit the time set button just to stop the blinking. Well when I got up in the morning I remembered that the lights had gone out, so I had no idea what time it was. Turned the TV on and the alarm clock was like on or two minutes off the actually time. So apparently the lights went out right at midnight...sort of a lame coincedence story but hey, according to Seinfeld there are no big coincedences or small coincedences, just coincedences. Although I guess we could argue that there are degrees of coincedence, but I digress.

5. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Bah! That's nothing! Years ago, when I got DirecTV, I installed the dish months before I got the receiver. (I installed the dish months before actually getting the service to take advantage of a remodeling project.) With no satellite receiver with which to check the signal strength, I just picked a spot in the sky and locked the dish into position. Mind you, this was before dishes had flashing LEDs or any other means of judging signal strength.

Six months later, when I finally hooked up the receiver and subscribed to the service, I got a picture! The signal strength was in the low 70s. [​IMG]

Little did I know that that one incident used up all my luck for life, and nothing good has happened to me since. [​IMG]

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I don't know if Directv has different numbers than DishNetwork, but isn't 70s kind of low for a signal strength? My father gets like 110s and stuff on the two satellites for dishNetwork. I don't even recall what the max value is...

Jay

7. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Jay, on a 12-hour analog watch, there was a 1 in 720 chance of that happening. If it had stopped between 7:00 and 11:00 it would have been even more likely to occur since most people are awake to see those hours occur twice (e.g. 9:00 AM and PM).

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    These are great stories lol! I had an experience when I was 13 that I will never forget and something that will never happen again.

My dad rented this movie from our local video store, one that i'd never seen or even heard about before mind you, and while he was watching it, my friend and I were laughing and making fun of it, well, at one point in the movie they showed a bunch of people riding a bus in the desert, my friend and I started using our fingers as guns, pointing and making the "POW!" sound.

I swear, I pointed my hand, like a gun, at the screen and went "POW!" and at the instant I did that, the bus in the movie blew a tire lol! We laughed about that for days and we still bring that up from time to time lol. It remains the single most extraordinary moment of coincidence i've ever had. [​IMG]

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

A similar story.

A long time ago in a country far far away, I went by my "christian" name. In the following story, "Holadem" stands for that name.

Back in junior high, the class was watching a film, don't remember what it was. As the resident obnoxious class clown, every other minute or so I would blurt out some stunningly witty comment. Until sometime in the middle of the movie, the most amazing thing happened: right after one of my trademark outrageously funny outbursts, a character in the movie yelled "shut up Holadem!".

Half of the class was rolling on the floor, as I sat there flabbergasted. Not even the teacher (who understandably never liked me much) made an attempt to maintain her composure. The intended target of the phrase appeared for perhaps 30 seconds in the movie.

I remained quiet for the remainder of the screening.

--
    H

10. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Anyone notice the time 11:11 a lot? I've been seeing it a lot the past year, the most has been 5 straight days, and I've seen it every day since Sunday but today ... so far.

~T

11. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson

I can't say that i've seen 11:11, but ever since 2001 I have noticed that almost everytime I look at my watch in the morning at work, it reads 9:11. Sometimes it happens 2 or 3 days in a row.

It freaks me out a little.

12. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

I just moved from a small town of about 30,000 people to Vancouver, which has about 2 million people all told. I had visited the city about 2 months ago just to check it out and see if I really wanted to live there.

So, after living here a grand total of 7 days, I went down to the library and I hear my name shouted out. I don't even turn my head. I hear it again and sure enough it was the one person I had met when I was in the city 2 months ago. We met in a hotel foyer and chatted a fair bit. Now I run into him months later no where near that hotel.

Pretty cool coincidence!

13. Rain

Rain Producer

First off, welcome to Vancouver, Scott. [​IMG]

So here's a coincidence story...

There's this guy I have been chatting with online for quite a long time, though we had never met in person. We both live in the same part of town, some two or three blocks apart, but have never even run into each other. On Sunday we were chatting online and I remarked upon how odd it was that we had never come accross each other in the neighborhood.

The next day after work I had to run a few errands in a totally different area of town, well technically it's actually a different municipality altogether. As I am getting off the Seabus (small ferry) at my destination, I see a very familiar looking fellow sitting at Starbucks.

Of course it turned out to be him.

14. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I discovered the piece A Prayer for Peace (from the soundtrack of Munich) on the very day "this shit" started in the Middle-East some 2-3 weeks ago. The beautiful, incredibly sad song did nothing to lift my mood [​IMG].

--
    H

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    When I was growing up every family vacation included at least one unexpected meeting with someone my dad knew. Didn't matter where we were in the country or in the world, for that matter, my Dad would run into someone he knew - often someone he hadn't seen in decades, other times someone we saw frequently in the Bronx or Westchester, but didn't know had travel plans. My favorite one of these happened in a non-tourist area of the Vatican, of all places. My uncle had been selected to complete his studies for the priesthood there, and we were in Rome for his ordination. He arranged a private tour for us. We were "oohing" and "ahhing" over the paintings and sculpture and taspestries when an obviously American voice called out my dad's name. A rotund grey-haired priest in his mid-50s approached us and as he drew near my dad realized the priest was a guy he'd known in high school. All these years later he was a parish priest in Manhattan, his church only a few blocks from where my father worked, but they had never run into one another. Instead they met in Rome, where the priest was on the last day of a two day trip and had only bumped into us because he made a wrong turn in maze of hallways within St. Peter's. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

16. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I do!!! But that's because no other time has any meaning, so 11:11 stands out more for me and that's why it feels like I notice it more.

I did the same thing with 12:34. I noticed it a couple of times and then started noticing it more and more ever since, but like I said, that's probably because when I do see it, I think "Hey! It's 12:34!"

Very similar to buying a car and then noticing the same make and model all over the place! It's like "When the hell did everyone get the same car I did??" [​IMG]

17. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

After I had gone to the air traffic academy and had transferred to my second facility, I was talking with one of my co-workers who is from Oklahoma City, where the academy is. His academy date was after mine, and previous to starting at the academy, he was bartending at an industrial club in bricktown.

"Actually," he told me, "I didn't 'tend' bar, but I sold beer at the downstairs bar. I didn't actually mix drinks. It wasn't a full bar down there, just the beer."

I thought about this and remembered buying beer at a downstairs bar at an industrial club in bricktown. I remembered the guy selling me beer telling me that he had no other drinks. We checked dates and figured out that he had, in fact sold me beers some three years earlier. Weird.

And then there was this time when I was at a party, and I was thinking about a plate of shrimp, and someone said "plate", and someone else said "shrimp", and someone else said "plate of shrimp"... [​IMG]

18. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

One time, I was at a Halloween party and this older guy comes up to me and says "Hey Mark! How are you doing!?!?!?"

I never met the guy before, so I was puzzled. I said: "How do you know my name? Do I know you?" and he says "You're Mark McGwire!" (I was dressed at Mark McGwire for Halloween" [​IMG]

[​IMG]