Strange Brew DVD....where is it, you hosers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Ryan, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Any word on this? I watched this classic last night on *gulp* VHS......fortunately, I was comforted by the fact that my VHS copy is at least open matte and not P&S. It's still not OAR, but it's watchable (however, I would NEVER buy a non-OAR DVD).
    Anyways, my ideal DVD of this would include a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, 5.1 sound, a couple featurettes, and a pair of commentaries....one with Bob & Doug in character, and another with Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas and anyone else commenting on the making of the film. This is basically patterned after the Princess Bride SE DVD and, to some extent, MGM's This Is Spinal Tap DVD, because they're both AWESOME single disc SE's.
    -Tom

2. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Commentary by Bob & Doug...That would be GREAT!! Bob would have to be in one channel with Doug in the other. [​IMG] This was one of my favorites throughout high school. It's still in my Top 10 list. If a DVD where made as you described it, at least one copy would be snatched up as soon as it hit the shelf.
    My friend and I went to a Halloween party dressed as Bob and Doug once. We looked just like them. Those that asked who we were suppose to be weren't worth the effort to try and explain it. They still didn't get it even after a thorough explanation. But everyone else would immediately say, "Hey...Bob and Doug." By the way, I was Doug. When we were "fighting" over who got to go through the door first (for those that haven't seen the movie, you won't know what I'm talking about) my arm accidentally brushed up against a girl wearing white ghost make-up and I got white grease paint all up my sleeve.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Haha, Bob & Doug costumes, great! I hope you didn't shoot anyone with dart guns [​IMG]. "Just because I don't know what it is, doesn't mean I'm lying."
    -Tom

4. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

Yea, but how did the donuts in the pocket hold up? "It's a jellll-y". I know I'd buy a copy....as we have a anual Strange Brew party...beer hunter anyone?

5. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

Here's the link to the Studio Feedback thread.
    "Yes, I bought this DVD at your store and when I opened it there was a MOUSE inside...and then my brother WATCHED it. So I would like a case of free DVDs please."
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yeah, like I bought your DVD, but the security stickers were hard to take off, eh.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

7. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

fyi, from tonight's Warner chat..."Strange Brew Summer 2002 Be there"

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

9. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I almost jumped out of my skin when I read that in the chat.....I dearly hope it has Rick & Dave commentary in character as Bob and Doug. A two-disc SE would be nice, but not really needed as the film is quite short. Thank you Warner!!!
    -Tom

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

How about a Strange Brew SE packaged with a six-pack? I'd buy that... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

11. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

or some jelly donuts! I had to bribe a secretary with my last one.
    ------------------
    "It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
    S&S Challenge: 72 ...24
    DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I'm gonna let go of the DVD.
    No I'm gonna.
    You let go.
    I'm gonna drop it.
    I mean it.
    (DVD hits floor and snapper case breaks apart)
    Dad, Doug broke your DVD.
    Take off, no way. Bob did it.
    I so freakin love this film I can barely stand the wait. At least we finally got definate word on it.

13. Andrew Walsh

Andrew Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if Rick and Dave will still be interested in doing special things for the DVD after the crap they went through trying to make the sequel last year. That was a travesty. Hopefully that wasn't Warner's fault and they'll do some cool stuff.
    ------------------
    "I'd trade it all for a little more." - C. Montgomery Burns

14. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

A Sequel?? What happened with it?

15. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have this on LD. I'll have to check again to see if its FULL FRAME vs P & S. I'd love a DVD of it with extra's for sure. Whats more, I'd love the entire SCTV TV series on DVD. I still have loads of old SCTV VHS tapes, but I'm hungry for the whole deal on DVD.

16. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Andrew chime in if you know more of the story. All I heard was that the beer ads tested whether there was still audience awareness of Bob & Doug, and there was, and they did the preproduction and were literally about to start filming when they lost funding somehow.
    Related question: Was there more audio by Bob & Doug besides their GWN album? That is, were there any b-sides released that had skits that didn't make the album?
    --
    Don't kill bugs.
    Because one day, someone might look at you as a bug.
    And then...you're gone.

17. Scott Greczkowski

I can't wait to get this one! This movie is one of many hidden comedy classics. (I just picked up another comedy classic the Ruttles the other day)
    I cant wait! When I get this one it will be a good day, ehh!?
    Scott

18. Drew Mertz

Drew Mertz Stunt Coordinator

Being that it`s a comedy, will warner actually release it widescreen?

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

20. CalvinC

CalvinC Stunt Coordinator

I've tried to teach my dog to put on a cape and fly, but no matter how many sausages or beers I offer him he still won't fly!