Stopping DVD purchases or upgrading dvd library to High Def.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Bryant Trew, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

"Studios" already give us high res copies of their properties!

2. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Great idea!
    May your health hold up!
    Don't mean too "Rein" on your parade.

3. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I know what I plan on doing. And that is simply to continue discussing these things with fine folks such as yourselfs. When the formats begin to really hit, there will be plenty of threads talking about it. Just stick around.

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

I believe I must clarify my position.
    I am not professing to replace my 500+, or how many you have, DVD's for HD DVD's tomorrow.
    I happen too agree with the poster on the position of buying titles (and I belive this to be SPECIFIC titles in my case) on DVD knowing full well I am going too replace that specific title in HiRez.
    I own T2 in HiDef.
    I own a satisfactory disc of Predator, hence I forgo the urge to upgrade in lowly DVD forum (OK. THAT was a cheap shot;-)!).
    Are studios "gung ho" for HD?
    Will the flood gates open the very moment a player is unleased to the public?
    Will HiRez be an inexpensive & a inherently easy decision?
    Are you NUTS???
    No, of coarse this is going to take time and effort too sort out. Butt, that doesn't mean I have too spend hard earned cash on DVD's that don't absolutely ROCK! When HD is a coming. And make NO mistake, HD IS a coming!

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I would not recommend doing that. You'll be kicking yourself for the rest of this decade if you do that.

This is what you will end up doing. You'll hold out buying a player until a 'must buy' comes out, and then you'll spring for a player. Great?

No. With 2 formats battling it out, the 2nd must have - which is on the other format only, comes out, and then you'll wonder - what did I do?

The same crap happened with VHS and Beta. Beta was better, but it lost the war. If you used that logic again, you'd end up with another dinosaur. In twenty years it may still work, for the ten titles that you could get on it. I don't even want to get into the prices that the first HD players will have, which would be one that you'd have to get, no?

Don't buy a player until you are 100% positive that the war is over. With Betamax, it was over when stores didn't carry any of their tapes, so this one could take awhile.

I feel that the older movies, which were never shot with anything anywhere near 1080i, are ok to buy now. HD isn't going to make them look all that much better. Even if a studio converted an old film to 1080i, it isn't going to look half as good as a new film would, so if you want to stop buying, just stop buying the new titles.

Just my nickel (2 cents adjusted for inflation)
    Glenn

6. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Are you talking too me? Are you talking to me!
    I am not even a second generation DVD consumer. Waited for 10 bit video DAC, component video output, & DTS flag.
    My first HiRez player will be recordable, with 120gb HD, & HDMI. Wish me luck!!!

7. paul:hillsdon

paul:hillsdon Stunt Coordinator

I can see why Spidey would be Blu-Ray exclusive, being as its Sony owned; but why assume Fox would stick with HD-DVD. I mean, as of now, the only studios we know attached to a format are Sony (BR) and Warner (HDDVD). But then, when exactly did Warner officially say they were supporting HDDVD?

And what the hell's going on with that sale of MGM/UA? It seems like every week I hear, "This Wednesday, there will likely be an announcement that Warner Bros. has bought MGM". AS much as I'd love that to happen, and give HDDVD a larger support group; I doubt BR would just immediately give up.

8. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

I don't have any burning desire for an HD playback format, but then my TV isn't HD-capable anyway.

But something does worry me...

I was looking at a Matrix sequel on the new Samsung DLP 50" pedestal TV and there was mosquito noise everywhere.

When I do upgrade my TV/player, I really need to find a combination of hardware that will present my DVDs in the best light.

This might require limiting my screen size and getting a player that can upconvert to 720p/1080i and scale non-anamorphic transfers to 16x9.

Wish me luck...

9. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Count me as one who will not buy either in a format war. The studios and manufacturers need to get the message from the early adopters (like many people here) that they won't tolerate the same crap they've done to hirez audio.

And I do have an HD Monitor, and would love to watch some of my favorite movies in HD, but it's not worth an initial equipment investment over $1000 to do it IMO. I have about 450 films right now (just got rid of a bunch), and I can't see replacing more than 100 of them on HD. It'll be a case by case decision.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'll keep buying as I have been and roll into HD-DVD when the format wars are over and it's affordable, which I sure is at least a couple years out, at the minimum.

Not seeing movies in theaters and buying the DVDs for $15 doesn't warrent waiting. Besides, if I have to repurchase some of my favorite titles on HD-DVD, no big deal.

11. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Who's to say you have to replace your dvd's with HD-DVD's? all they will need to make is a universal HD-DVD with upscaleing capabilities for 480i/p titles right?

12. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

I don't know that classic film collectors will benefit much from HD DVD so I'm not particularly concerned.

Spiderman 2 may look awesome on HD DVD but it's still a crappy movie so who cares how good it looks?

Great films like It Happened One Night, M, Stagecoach, All About Eve, Notorious, Red River, Bicycle Thief etc. will not benefit much (if at all) from HD.

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I'm not holding my breath. The average person can clearly recognize the difference between VHS and DVD. The upgrade to an HD format will not be enough for the masses to invest in it the way they have with DVD.

On top of which, the format war won't speed things up. Remember when certain titles were only available on DiVX? When studios like Fox had no intention of ever getting into DVD? Look at DVD-Audio and SACD. They've been around for a few years, and does the average person even know they exist?

HD-DVD/ Blu-Ray will likely be a small niche market, along the lines of laserdisc, for the foreseeable future. Well-produced DVDs on my Gregg Loewen-calibrated set will do just fine for me (for now!).

14. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Agent

I have an HD 42" Plasma with a Bravo D2 DVD player using the DVI connection and I have a hard time telling the difference of a well-transferred DVD to a true HD broadcast (which I also watch a lot). It's stunning - almost film-like!

With the right setup, you can now get near-HD performance from a well-transfered anamorphic DVD. I'm re-watching DVD's I haven't seen in a while and I'm blown away by the clarity. True HD DVDs can't be "much" better.

Maybe it's my 45 year-old eyes, but I'm very satisfied.

- Mike

15. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

I agree completely.

Too many people own too many DVDs for any other format to become mainstream in the next (at least) ten years.

Of course there will be a few titles released - but because (almost) nobody will buy them both formats will die a very slow and quiet death.

At least IMHO.

16. Jon Mahoney

Jon Mahoney Stunt Coordinator

There is no way HD-DVD/Blue Ray will go mainstream in the next 5 years. They can't even sell normal people HD-TVs despite almost everyone having access to content, nevermind convince people to pay more/double dip for HD-DVD.

My plan as of right now is to keep on buying DVDs then when an HD standard comes out, after the format war, just repurchase titles that are really worth it, Star Wars (if it ever comes out in HD), LOTR etc. that I watch a lot and can really benefit from HD. I'm not going to upgrade comedies etc. because in my mind that's just a waste of money.

I think many are thinking there is there demand for HD-DVD, there really isn't from what I've heard/read. As many have said, its going to be a niche market.

17. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Do you know how people will be convinced to buy HD-DVD? A piece of "must-own" software...and I personally think it's going to be either LOTR or Star Wars that gets people to buy the players. My money is on an HD LOTR set getting everyone to purchase.

Mike: I think it's your eyes. [​IMG]

ThomasT: You don't think classic films would benefit much from HD-DVD? Are you kidding?? A 35mm film print subjectively has 8-10 times the resolution of HD...so believe me, there's plenty of room for improvement.

-Dennis

18. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Here is an interesting article on HD-DVD, basically saying it will put an end to DVD-A, SACD, and DVD's as we know it, and they speculate that it will catch on far quicker than DVD's once did.

19. RobertM.Fleming

RobertM.Fleming Stunt Coordinator

Somehow I cant see all the seasons of friends or any TV show that we have DVD box sets of now being released in either one of the new formats. I would imagine the cost to be pretty steep. and the low costs of DVDs to the public is easily one of the most important reasons to its popularity.

20. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

But right now there is no easy way to mass distribute pirated copies of those that have been released due to the storage space required. They may change their tune in a hurry once a non-tape based easily PC-interfaced format exists. The power of todays PCs makes Hollywood very uncomfortable.