What's new

Stop the Dawn of the Dead Remake!! (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Stop the Dawn of the Dead Remake Petition
A Dawn of the Dead remake is absolutely the worst idea in the history of movies. Maybe to me more than you, but the idea stinks. The fans are against it, Romero himself is against it and it shouldn't be made. I know these petitions don't do anything but this one hopefully can be an exception.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Talk about useless petitions! It's a too late now to stop it, as much money has already exchanged hands.
And I'm sure you've got a great chance of getting a positive response with a petition that charges that they're simply out to make a quick buck. :rolleyes:"Gee, we insulted you a whole bunch...why didn't you listen to our demands?"
DJ

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
...but the idea stinks.
Agreed, but you're never going to stop it from being made.
Face it, Hollywood is out of ideas. So they are overdoing it on the remakes. I mean they've remade Mr. Deeds Goes to Town with Adam Sandler for cryin' out loud. :thumbsdown:
So long as people are willing to line up and pay to see the lame excuses for entertainment that spew forth from the studios, they will continue to offer such product. Vote with your dollars and don't go see the movie.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, I love Dawn of the Dead as much as any horror freak, but petitioning against a future movie is as pointless a gesture as me asking Kirsten Dunst to be my kinky sex slave.
I respect your devotion to the original, but if they can remake Psycho, that means anything is fair game.
Nick Nunziata, head animal over at Chud.com recently had posted an article about James Gunn, screenwriter of Scooby-Doo and the upcoming Dawn of the Dead remake. Here's a snip:
Heck, they remade the original! The sequel seems fair game!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Take a quarter of the money they are spending on the remake and digitally color the blood in the original from pinkish red to a more real dark red. Then re-release it into theaters.
I'm not serious of course, but if they wanted to make a change to the original in order to make it more palatable to modern audiences, that to me is the only sour egg in the basket, and not all that bad really IMO. Maybe some of the acting is a bit on the amateurish side but hey, it was made independently in 1977/78 so I can be much more forgiving for DOTD than I would for all the bad acting to be found in most of the big budget Hollywood fare you see year after year.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Heck, they remade the original! The sequel seems fair game!
But the original was remade with George A. Romero behind it (and Savini directing it). IMO, I'd rather see Gunn work on a Return of the Living Dead remake/sequel than a Dawn of the Dead remake.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

Great point. Romero was OK with a remake as long as the right people were behind it. Romero wasn't even asked if he was OK with the remake. Rubinstein owns the rights to Dawn so he went ahead and gave the OK.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'd personally be happier with a remake of Day of the Dead. That movie was so bad it couldn't be made worse.
and so long as I can get the original DOTD in the millenium edition from anchor bay, they can make all the remakes they want.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Though I don't like the idea, I'm reserving judgment. True the 1990 Night of the Living Dead had the support of Mr. Romero--and the thing is, I prefer it many ways to the classic original.

James Gunn is a good writer, too.

We have no choice but to sit back. A small petition is not going to have any effect on the studio. Really now.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
But this remake crazy environment in Hollywood has to stop somewhere! And people thought the zombie munching in RESIDENT EVIL was weak? Wait until they try DAWN OF THE DEAD. Probably end up more like DAWN OF THE SLIGHTLY HUNGRY DEAD!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jordan, the remakes will cease once the public stops buying into Hollywood's creative bankruptcy. I don't like it any more than you. But people keep buying tickets.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
You're right, Jack. I did not go see the PSYCHO remake (caught it on cable; please forgive me Sir Alfred!), won't see MR. DEEDS at all, and shudder at the thought of the DAWN remake. But it is a double edged sword for me as a screenwriter. I have had numerous discussions with fellow writers: Would you write a remake if it was given to you as your first big break? The older I get, the more I lean toward "as long as I get paid." I know of dozens of brilliant scripts out there available, but it's just so hard to get your foot in that proverbial front door. Talk about beating my head against the wall. I hate remakes, but would write one to pay the rent! :angry:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
I'm just wondering what this opinion is based on. The guy wrote a few movies (and an ill-fated TV series) for those schlock-lovin' Troma freaks, and then penned the straight-to-video flick The Specials (which I very much want to see, but haven't yet).
Other than that, he's done Scooby-Doo. I'm not trying to being sarcastic; maybe you're familiar with some work he did that I'm not familiar with! (uncredited script polish, etc.)
I'm not down on the guy, but I haven't seen anything too impressive from him just yet.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
---quote---
OK, I love Dawn of the Dead as much as any horror freak, but petitioning against a future movie is as pointless a gesture as me asking Kirsten Dunst to be my kinky sex slave.
---endquote---
Okay, that's a deal. If they get to remake Dawn of the Dead, Kirsten Dunst has to come to my house to be my kinky sex slave. Thankfully Windows emulates something resembling multi-tasking, and I'm writing the shopping list for her to pick up in a Word window on half my screen.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks