What's new

Stone slabs under speakers? (1 Viewer)

JamesCB

Second Unit
I just posted this in another well-known forum. Figured I'd get some responses (experienced) from here.

I firmly beleive all loudspeakers should be spiked or otherwise stabilized to prevent any movement of the cabinet while operating. I have heard of many (audiophiles mostly) who put a stone slab under their speakers (usually floorstanding). And usually with the spikes on top of the stone. What confuses me is when this is done on a carpeted floor it seems as though you would get a rocking effect. A flat stone would have to be VERY heavy to completely compress the carpet. Could someone please explain the concept of the stone slab? I am open to discussion and willing to give it a try if it seems worth while.

By the way, I'm just talking about the front L & R.

MarkO

Second Unit
If the stone base is properly shimed it will not rock. The whole idea of a stone base is to isolate speaker vibration from wooden floors. I think most bookshelves do not produce enough energy to travel through well built, sand/shot filled speaker stands, but floor standers may benifit greatly.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
This is very strange as I have been thinking about this for the past few days myself! I am going to look at a place down the road tomorrow that sells all kinds of stone. Hopefully they will have some black granite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks