What's new

Stone pizza oven insert for gas BBQ - will it work? (1 Viewer)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
$250 seems a bit pricey for a pizza cooker that will only get used occasionally, at least to me anyway. As to your question, I would imagine that it works fine as long as you get the grill temp hot enough. It does look pretty cool and I like the idea, but still...maybe if they cut the cost in half....

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I'm not sure this will work Dennis. Whenever they do BBQ cooking on food shows, most notably America's Test Kitchen and Good Eats, they always say they prefer to use real charcoal instead of propane.

I remember them saying that one of the natural products-of-combustion from propane is water, which has an adverse affect on food roasted in a gas grill.

You might want to try a cheaper solution first; Alton Brown on Good Eats suggests using an unglazed quarry tile or a new, clean, large pottery tile instead of an expensive "pizza stone" when baking pizza in an oven. You could try this on the grill and see what happens.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
In the world of kitchen gadgets (which you must admit a oven that only cooks pizzas and must be used outside with a grille you buy seperate certainly qualifies) $250 is in the 'mid-price' category. Its only slightly more expensive than a hand-crank ice cream machine (which most sane humans will only use twice, then buy an electric model), but not nearly as expensive as the $8000 TurboChef™ home super-toaster.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Garrett,

Oh I get that for sure and I would no sooner buy the 3K espresso machine I was looking at in Williams & Sonoma today than I would the $250 pizza "grill". At least not till I am done paying tuition for kids....

Chris

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
I have used a regular pizza stone in my gas grill with great success. If you want to add a smoky flavor use one of those smoke boxes for gas grills in there. Personally I like the flavor without the added smoke.

Laters,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks