Stone pizza oven insert for gas BBQ - will it work?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dennis Nicholls, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    To show how far afield my internet browsing day goes....

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...ator.html#more

This is a pizza forum's thread about an insert for a gas BBQ that's supposed to produce perfectly cooked pizzas at home without the hassle of a real wood-fired oven being available. Anyone thing this thing has merit? The mfg. wants about $250 for it.

[​IMG]

2. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Screenwriter

Chris
    $250 seems a bit pricey for a pizza cooker that will only get used occasionally, at least to me anyway. As to your question, I would imagine that it works fine as long as you get the grill temp hot enough. It does look pretty cool and I like the idea, but still...maybe if they cut the cost in half....

3. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    I'm not sure this will work Dennis. Whenever they do BBQ cooking on food shows, most notably America's Test Kitchen and Good Eats, they always say they prefer to use real charcoal instead of propane.

I remember them saying that one of the natural products-of-combustion from propane is water, which has an adverse affect on food roasted in a gas grill.

You might want to try a cheaper solution first; Alton Brown on Good Eats suggests using an unglazed quarry tile or a new, clean, large pottery tile instead of an expensive "pizza stone" when baking pizza in an oven. You could try this on the grill and see what happens.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Can't you use a pie iron?

http://www.pieiron.com/

Might be smaller than your contraption but the pie iron would be able to be used in a fireplace, a wood stove, campfire, etc...

Jay

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

In the world of kitchen gadgets (which you must admit a oven that only cooks pizzas and must be used outside with a grille you buy seperate certainly qualifies) $250 is in the 'mid-price' category. Its only slightly more expensive than a hand-crank ice cream machine (which most sane humans will only use twice, then buy an electric model), but not nearly as expensive as the $8000 TurboChef™ home super-toaster.

6. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Screenwriter

Chris
    Garrett,

Oh I get that for sure and I would no sooner buy the 3K espresso machine I was looking at in Williams & Sonoma today than I would the $250 pizza "grill". At least not till I am done paying tuition for kids....

Chris

7. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

I have used a regular pizza stone in my gas grill with great success. If you want to add a smoky flavor use one of those smoke boxes for gas grills in there. Personally I like the flavor without the added smoke.

Laters,
    Jeff

8. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

My suggestion as well. Will set you back... 20 bucks ?