What's new

stock honda tweeter question (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
boy...lots of activity here. ;)

if anyone happens to read this, here goes.

i think the driver-side tweeter on my 94 accord is either acting funky or shot. when i play with the balance, i'm hearing a lot more highs from the right then the left (yes, even if i stick my head in the middle of the car).

so i'm thinking i may need to replace it.

my question is this a hard-thing to do? is that a part i can buy from the dealer? or should i get some after-market tweeter - which is something i'd rather not do (for simplicity/stock/compatibility etc.)

thx!

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
Ted,

Either the tweeter, the crossover for the tweeter or the amp channel is starting to go. All parts are available at the dealer or a good wrecker. You will have to use a multimeter to determine what part is failing though (or just chance that the speaker is a problem). Most auto speaker are just held in place with a few clips or screws and should be easy to remove.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx brad. i'm going to check with the dealer today.

how can i check with a multi-meter? i've always wondered about that. i have a generic radio-shack digital one if that matters.

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
is there anything coming out of your driver tweet? Check it at the connection for the tweet as it may have come loose on one end and check the amp. Where's your tweet located at? I forget in an Acccord, in the door or the sail. They're all pretty easy to take off since they usually have one screw holding the cup with a bracket. Or its pressure mounted in it.

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
Put the multimeter on AC voltage mode and measure the voltage level of the song going to the good tweeter. It will fluctuate. Now measure the voltage going to the bad tweeter using the same song passage as the good tweeter. The voltage levels should be approx the same. If they are close then the tweeter is no good. If they aren't even close then the amp or the wiring from the amp to the tweeter is damaged.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx all -

the tweet seems to fluctuate - some days it sounds good, other days it doesn't. hopefully just a loose connection. the tweet is on my dash, in the corner. i'm gonna play with it when i get some time.

can't wait to try that multi-meter trick. neat-o!

:)

WillNE

Agent
Mine does this kind of in my 96 Accord EX. When I changed my speakers I noticed one side seemed a tad bit louder than the other but not much. It doesn't really bother me and I think it works correctly and I imagine I'm just not hearing it correctly or something. I have the stock tweeters though as I don't see any aftermarket ones that are that size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks