What's new

STM-NEW 4 DISC SPECIAL EDITION DVD-WHAT?!! NO ORIGINAL 1978 SOUNDTRACK??!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
A guy on Dharmesh's message board just posted the information below. He's talking about the R3 release. I don't know what the truth is, but it's amazing to me that diehard fans of the film can be in disagreement over something as simple as this...

"I've been through the fine print on the STM DVDs in the UE (and listened to both tracks) and the encoding is thus:

STM -Theatrical Cut: Dolby Surround 5.1 (can be played as 2.0) : this would be the ORIGINAL soundtrack as commonly found on old videotapes/laserdiscs but encoded so it can be played on either a 5.1 speaker setup or a 2.0 speaker set up

STM -Expanded Edition: Dolby Digital 5.1 : revamped for DVD as in 2000 release

So I think Warners (and Michael Thau) were probably right when they said that STM theatrical would be released with the original Dolby Surround track"

If this is true, it would actually make sense to include both 5.1 and 2.0 tracks, since the 5.1 would still be a modification (hopefully done well) from the original stereo mix.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
Is it possible that the guy I quoted is correct, and others are getting confused by the fact that the 5.1 and 2.0 mixes are identical (not realizing that the 5.1 is also the 1978 soundtrack)?

When/if I get the disc tonight, I'll first listen to the credits on Disc 2 - to properly calibrate my ears - then do the same with both tracks on Disc 1. Man oh man...

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
The e-mail I got was quite clear. "I then played the movie on both audio settings. I listened to the opening credits and the Krypton sequence. It was immediately obvious in both instances that I was listening to the newer 2001 'Thau' sound mix, and NOT the 1978 sound mix. So, again, NO original mix. VERY disappointing. This is something the fans have wanted for a very long time."

He did confirm that "Next Year 'Superman II'" is on the disc though.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
It was as if millions of voices cried out in terror...and then were suddenly silenced.

At least that's what I hope is going to happen here.

Britton

Screenwriter
Well, if this is true, then I won't feel so bad about the theatrical cut not getting a HD DVD release.

It would really be a shame though because I remember how jarring it was the first time I watched opening credits when it came out on DVD in May 2001. I've gotten used to it since then, but I really liked the original "whoosh" sound effect much more.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo

That breaks my heart. I'll check it out for myself, but if this is the case, it seems like a genuine product error that should've been caught before the discs went out. It sounds to me, based on the press release and packaging, like Warner intended for us to have the 1978 mix.

EDIT: The guy I quoted a few posts ago has since followed the directions of others in the thread and confirmed that both discs *do* include the 2000 remix and *not* the 1978 mix, which is contrary to what the included specs booklet would have you believe...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I think this would make the most sense. I hope this guy is right and this is indeed the case.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo
We might as well start asking for an exchange program now. I want my corrected S:TM disc asap. :)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
No need for exchnages......

I was able to get the new 4 disc SE of SUPERMAN (1978) on Monday at one of those not-to-be named retailers that frequently puts stock out early. I watched the 'expanded' version and some of the extras on Monday, but did not watch the "theatrical cut" until this morning, after reading these comments.

The original THEATRICAL MIX is indeed on the disc.

Go to the LANGUAGES page. There are FOUR audio tracks on the disc.
ENGLISH 5.1, ENGLISH, COMMENTARY and FRENCH. The "ENGLISH" is the original 1978 theatrical mix. The difference between the 5.1 and the original is obvious.

So those concerned can relax. What was supposed to be there, is indeed there. Either use the LANGUAGE menu page or your remote control (ENGLISH #2) to access the 1978 mix if you want it.

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Santangelo

This is killing me. Well, now you're somebody else who seems to know what they're talking about... and you're getting my hopes up again...

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Carter
Did you actually listen to it and compare it? There are many instances in the 2000 re-mix where new sound effects were used in place of the vintage ones used in the 1978 mix. Do you know what to listen for? Can you confirm that these aren't there?

It seems that those in the know have done a comparison and found them to be the same.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to laugh my balls off if it turns out all this drama is because die-hard fans honestly can't even tell the difference anymore between the old track and the new one :)

And even if it's not on there--I'm still getting it. Although a) if they advertise it, it should be on there and b) it should be on there regardless, because if you're going to preserve the original theatrical ratio, you should preserve the original sound mix as well, it's just as important a part of the movie.

That said--I like the new sound mix. Like it just fine. I don't miss the original, because as much of a Superman fan as I am, I didn't watch the films enough to have each and every sound effect ingrained in my consciousness. I've done that with the Star Wars films, but not with Superman. So to me, any difference in sound-effects and foley work is negligible at best.

As annoying as it would be to NOT have the original audio after it's been promised to us by the studio, that's not enough for me to NOT purchase this behemoth.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Perhaps someone could record an mp3 of both mixes like with the Superman II mix?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Yeah, well, they still didn't manage to include those 49 minutes of deleted scenes, now did they?

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
That was promised for the 4 disc? I don't even remember hearing about that. I know Superman II has quite a few deleted scenes, both the Lester AND the Donner version. I know Superman IV has some deleted scenes, and I think Superman III does, but I don't remember Warners ever saying almost an hour worth of Deleted stuff from Superman was being put on a disc.

Zod2080

Grip
Real Name
Jay
OK, here is the deal, so listen up.

NO English track for STM on the 4-disc set is the original 1978 sound mix. This affects ALL regions. However, any 2.0 track with a different language features the original sound design, but they are in Mono. Please don't ask me if I am sure, I AM, and I knew exactly what I was listening for when I compared the mixes. Anybody who has suggested otherwise is either sadly mistaken or lying. The 2.0 English track is the 5.1 mix downconverted, which is the THAU mix. Sorry folks, Warner has done it AGAIN!... :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks