Still no word on PEANUTS Feature Films-Paramount?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chuck L, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

While next months release of the first collection of 25 books based on Sparky's creations, it seems that a perfect tie in would have been to release at A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN or the even more popular SNOOPY COME HOME.

What is the hold up on these titles? Since the rights for those two films are no longer with Fox, but with you, it seems that cross promotions would be great for this. (Aside from that, isn't Snoopy Come Home available down under? Why not in the states?)

2. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

"A Boy Named Charlie Brown" and "Snoopy Come Home" were originally Cinema Center Films. CCF was later acquired by CBS. In the 1980s, Fox entered a distribution partnership with CBS, thereby creating CBS/Fox Video (which continues, by the way, due to its current licensing deals for two Rodgers And Hammerstein films, "South Pacific" and "Oklahoma").

When CBS merged with Viacom (which shortly before acquired Paramount Pictures), the CBS video library (except for "South Pacific" and "Oklahoma" and the DVD rights to "My Fair Lady" and "The Twilight Zone") went to Paramount, because CBS is also now a sister company to Paramount. So at this point it is now Paramount that holds the video rights to "Boy" and "Come Home".

I really have no idea if Paramount plans to release these two films at this time, though anything can happen since Paramount themselves made several Peanuts films after "Come Home", leaving the door open for perhaps a box set of the Peanuts films.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    They made 2, but the condition of the films may be an issue. You wouldn't want them to come to DVD looking poorly.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I would also like to see the following released...

- A Boy Named Charlie Brown
    - Bon Voyage Charlie Brown, And Don’t Come Back!
    - Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown!
    - Snoopy, Come Home!

There's no excuse to be issuing DVD's of mediocre television specials with rehashed storylines which broadcast last year, when these classic Scultz productions have yet to see the light of day in digital format. These should be among top priority for Paramount's Peanut home video franchise.

MORE CLASSIC PEANUTS ON DVD!!!

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'd love to see a multi-film collection of Snoopy Come Home, A Boy Named Charlie Brown, Race For Your Life, and Bon Voyage.

6. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Come on Paramount, you put these out and I won't be able to hand my money over fast enough.

7. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

Actually they made 4 movies, and if the condition was a problem, some of the specials Paramount released on DVD in the past year wouldn't have made the cut (none are awful, but some of the transfers were mediocre at best. Not that I'm complaining, either, but I don't think the condition is a problem, given the standards they set with the earlier Peanuts DVDs).

Paramount owns the rights to all the Peanuts movies, so let's see them sooner than later!!

8. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

Whenever Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (1980) gets released, it must come with it's 1983 epilogue special "What Have You Learned Charlie Brown?".

The movie was deliberately left open-ended so that a follow up could be done.

9. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Same here. Especially, Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown! [​IMG]

10. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Rob, that's also my favorite Peanut movie. It aired on Teletoon a few months back and I hadn't seen it previously in over half a decade. I hope HTF schedules an upcoming chat with Paramount because I really want these on DVD!

11. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

I saw Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown in the theater - I loved the scenes with Snoopy riding a chopper motorcycle. Only years later did I realize these were a tip of the hat to Hopper's Easy Rider.

12. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    Holy cow, I remember crying like a girl at Snoopy Come Home when they were all walking around in a circle and that sad music was playing. [​IMG]

13. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

No Dogs Allowed!

14. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

C"MON!!! OVERDUE!!!!

Who is LYLA..!?!?!?

15. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but search is useless. On Race For Your Life's wiki entry, it says:

I see nothing on Amazon. Is this a damned lie?

16. WillG

WillG Producer

Either that or a very misinformed person.

17. Guest

On a side note, if you have HDNet Movies, they're showing BON VOYAGE CHARLIE BROWN in high-def in May. Certainly will be better than watching my old laserdisc transfer, lol.

18. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

One of the great "Why the heck aren't these on DVD yet!?!?!" mysteries.

19. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I'm surprised no one asked about the movies at the WB TV/Animation chat.

And I don't know whether this has any effect on any existing DVD deals, but Iconix has acquired 80% of the Peanuts brand with the Schulz family getting the other 20%:

http://www.emii.com/Articles/2475451/Capital-Markets/Capital-Markets-Articles/Iconix-Buys-Peanuts-Brand-For-175M.aspx

20. WillG

WillG Producer

I though I read somewhere that Paramount still controls the theatrical films. Can anyone confirm?