What's new

Still 5.1? (1 Viewer)

emperor76

Grip
Real Name
jonathan
Hi all, I have a Samsung blu ray 5.1 surround system and I have just noticed that if I connect the optical cable from the digital out on the t.v to the optical input on the surround system and set the sound on my computer to HDMI everything connected to the t.v via HDMI comes through the surround system on the digital in setting, is it still possible for me to get full 5.1 from my pc and sky box this way?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nope.
The only thing 5.1 from 99.5% of all HDMI equipped TV's is the OTA tuner itself. The APPs(since we don't know which TV you got) are all in 2.0 as well.
It is in your owners manual.

emperor76

Grip
Real Name
jonathan
Thanks for the reply, sorry it's a Samsung 32" LCD le32a436, as you can probably tell I am a beginner in the department and just working things out as I go along, I had it set up with the optical from the sky box and the pc through auxiliary usually and occasionally swapped the optical over when I wanted better sound on the pc, looks like I will be reverting to this annoying set up again. I have been toying with the idea of using an optical switch but can't shake the idea that it would detract from the sound quality

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
OR...
http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-Digital-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344528990&sr=1-2&keywords=toslink+switch

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Or...
http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-SW100-Digital-Selector-Compatible/dp/B000812QC6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344528990&sr=1-2&keywords=toslink+switch

emperor76

Grip
Real Name
jonathan
Yeah, that's what I have been thinking of doing for a while, it's just when I am sat watching something, in the back of my mind will always be "I wonder if the sound was better without the switch", i'm sure this is just complete paranoia as it even says in the description there is no loss in sound quality

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Digital is digital transmission. Besides, if you'd rather buy overkill...
http://www.amazon.com/C2G-40324-Component-Performance-Selector/dp/B000AM3U2I/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344528990&sr=1-9&keywords=toslink+switch
Besides, you have a 5.1 BD "system"...which one?
Is it a 500w PMPO?
A 1000w PMPO?
An actual receiver based HTiB?(which I doubt)

emperor76

Grip
Real Name
jonathan
It's a Samsung HT-D4500, not the greatest but money is an issue and I got this for £250 which I thought was a pretty good deal, I could have got a Panasonic 3D blu ray for the same price but I like Samsung.

emperor76

Grip
Real Name
jonathan
Ideally I would have loved to have separates as I have heard they are the best, unfortunately that would cost a lot of money which I don't have so upon spotting this in curry's for £250 on offer I thought, bonus! as my previous Samsung surround system had no optical input, no Blu ray, and 500 watts less, so at long last I was able to get my pc in surround and on the living room t.v. But yes ideally you are right, it would be great to have separates.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Anytime you see PMPO...it doesn't mean anything.
It is like trying to say the new FIAT 500 will do 300mph...
What they fail to mention is...
It is the "body" of the car strapped to a jet pack...and it would survive it once.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks