What's new

stick shift question (1 Viewer)

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I was driving home yesterday and I found it difficult to get into any gear. At one point I was slowing down and tried to put the car into 3rd gear and could not get it into gear for about 15 seconds. I have 154,000 miles on it with the original clutch. Could it be a clutch problem? Timing belt?
Any thoughts or ideas would be great. Also cost to get fixed would be good too. I am going to take it to a mechanic next week but want to get some ideas on the problem and cost.
Thanks
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yah, sounds like the clutch is going (and not the timing belt - but you should also change out the timing belt if it has 154K miles on it because you can ruin an engine when the timing belt breaks). And depending on what kind of car you drive, that'll determine the repair/replacement costs. I'd start around $300-$400, unless you can do it yourself.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Yep, it sounds like the clutch. When mine went out, the clutch went all the way to the floor. You might also see if your transmition flued is low. Yes even manuals have it. It is normaly a plug in the trans that you unscrew and put more in. I would take it to a oil change place, and see if they can do it. But, if it is the cluch, it will start out at $350+ I have a RX-7, and it cost me aprox 1,000 to get both the main, and secondary replaced. Not fun.
------------------
Jeff Blair
AIM blairj2
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
- Abraham Lincoln
My DVD's

BryanZ

Screenwriter
How olds the car?
Replace the timing belt every 60,000 miles regardless. Any longer than that and you are tempting fate. It also sounds like the clutch is on its way out. They will have to replace the clutch, clutch plate, bearings (?), and one more part but I'm not sure what it is. But make sure they replace all four parts right then or else you will be back to see them very soon.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Yep, that's the clutch. I've got a bad one in my Fiero (3rd and 4th aren't so bad, but it's almost impossible to get into reverse, 1st or 2nd) and it'll cost around $700 to replace. No fun!
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
besides getting stranded, the timing belt shouldn't cause a problem UNLESS it's an interference engine..

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Not to worry you, but while its probably the clutch, I'd get the gearbox itself checked as well. I had the clutch go on my last car and it was just like that, replaced it and found that the box was dying as well. The main thing is that until you do replace the clutch, every shift is hurting the gearbox, so even if its fine now you need a quick fix before you do damage it.
[Edited last by Iain Lambert on October 19, 2001 at 11:15 AM]

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for all the input. The car is a 1994 Acura Integra. I haven't driven it since yesterday. The next place it will be driven to will be the mechanics shop. I had the timing belt changed at 90K so perhaps it's time for that too.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Julie K

Screenwriter
Ryan,
I wish I could just pay for parts. I took my Baby into the shop Monday and was floored when I learned that their repair book is quoting 7 hours of labor. This is apparently for removing the engine. I just know that there's got to be a way to do it easier, but none of the shops around here will even try. Or more likely, they won't charge anything but the book price, which is a different thing entirely.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks