What's new

STF-3 or VTF-3 (1 Viewer)

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
If it is just for movies you may want to go with the STF-3.

But send an e-mail to Dr. Hsu and he can advise you given your room and current setup

I have a STF3 in Max Extension mode. I'd say to get the VTF3
and when the **upgrades** are available in a few months, it will be one very nice sub :)

On the other hand the STF3 will also have an upgrade that will be hard to beat, so you can't really loose.

With the VTF3 you also get finish choices.

Good luck!

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
My room is 14 ft wide x 23 ft long with 8 ft high ceilings. I have very lightly padded carpet directly over a concrete floor, which inhibits subwoofer "feeling" at the primary listening position. I currently have an STF-2 in the front left corner, which I will continue to use as a secondary sub in the rear right corner nearfield placement once I get the bigger STF-3/VTF-3. The new, bigger sub will thus have to be a good blend with the STF-2, and since it's primarily for movies would I run a VTF-3 in max output mode or max extension mode to get the most "feeling" at the primary listening position?

Thanks

http://207.107.210.136/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=5
My DVD Collection

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Hey MuneebM,

I see the upgrade bug has hit you! I would personally got with the VTF-3, it is only $100 more (at least in the U.S) and I defiantly think it is worth it, as it will give you much more authority down low that the STF-2/3 cannot. But like mentioned HSU has some upgrades planned for some of their subs including the STF-3, to my knowledge this add on will extends the ports of the sub thus extending its extension. There will also be an upgrade coming out for the VTF-3 which should make it even better. It should also be a good combo with the STF-2.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Thomas D. and Matt Smi, I could not agree more ... The VTF-3 Mark II is a wonderful subwoofer for $699. I know there is a lot of angst over this, but currently, for a high output subwoofer in the $600-$800 range, the VTF-3.2 is the best I have auditioned.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator

Craig I got to agree with this because no matter what subwoofer I auditioned I just couldn't find another subwoofer that I liked better. It really is an overachieving subwoofer especially for its excellent value.

PC

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Thanks to all for your responses. I picked up a VTF-3 MK2 last night and it is sitting at home just waiting for me to unpack it, calibrate it and enjoy it! Unforunately I won't have time to do that until later this weekend, at which point I will plot 1/6th octave frequency response of the VTF-3 MK2 + STF-2 combination and post my results here for all those interested! I can't wait to get this beast up and running! :D

http://207.107.210.136/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=10
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks