Steve Jobs: RIP

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    News story broke moments ago that Steve Jobs has died.

Very sad news.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Confirmed :(
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/10/do-not-publish-steve-jobs-obituary.ars
    RIP Steve, you made the world a much more interesting place for geeks and regular folks alike.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    The front page of Apple is in memoriam, with redirect here:
    http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/
    You can send remembrances to an email linked there

4. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    [​IMG]

5. marsnkc

marsnkc Supporting Actor

Andrew
    Just last week I was reading about the fortune that one of the first apple computers fetched at auction. The huge amount paid, way over and above what they normally fetch, was mostly for the original package it was sent in. The return address "Apple Headquarters" was, of course, his parents' garage.
    Very sad.

6. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Not often the death of a celebrity brings tears to my eyes. Thanks Steve for all you've given us. You changed the industry and turned Apple into the company it is today. R.I.P. :(

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Very sad. One of our greatest technologists (business leaders, inventors, visionaries,...). His creations significantly affected my life, childhood to adult.

8. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    RIP Mr. Jobs...and thanks.

http://live.twit.tv/ has been putting up some great videos of Steve speaking if anyone is interested.

-Keith

9. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    Steve Jobs to Pepsi president John Sculley, circa 1983: "Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water, or do you want to change the world?"
    Steve Jobs changed the world.

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Really wasn't expecting to hear something like this so soon, if anytime in the near future.

Say whatever one wants about his personality and what he (supposedly?) did, etc. to get where he got, etc. etc., but yeah, there's definitely no denying that he was responsible for a whole lot of good in the computing world (and perhaps, whatever charity work he supported), if nowhere else.

Here's hoping he found true peace and is now resting in it...

_Man_

11. dmiller68

dmiller68 Supporting Actor

David Miller
    A great man died today. No mater if you like or hate Apple the industry lost one of the people that made the industry. We lost him way too soon...
    RIP Steve Jobs

12. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Forgot to include that he was at least partially responsible for bringing us Pixar, not just what's traditionally considered computing-related goods.

Of course, as usual, it's probably debatable exactly just how much he was actually/personally responsible for any of these various industry/world-changing successes...

Anyhoo...

_Man_

13. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I think people dismiss how much a person can do with their genius. Jobs was never a "super technical" person, but he saw what he wanted, had a grand vision, and he surrounded himself with engineers and people who could make that happen. From his first relationship with Wozniak to his ties to Sun, Gates, NeXT, and others, Steve Jobs could spot talent like very few people ever to work in the business. EVER to work in the business.

I feel like watching "Pirates of Silicon Valley" now.

RIP, Steve, you'll be missed.

14. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Steve Wozniak giving a good interview on CNN; he had commented that a family commitment to be together was a hard thing to hold to in light of the news, but preferred to celebrate the life of Jobs and his successes.

Bill Gate's commentary is fitting:

15. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I knew this was going to happen. After we lost RAF on Friday I told Ron that Mr. Jobs wouldn't be with us much longer. I just didn't think it would be so soon.

I have always admired Steve Jobs. He knew what he wanted and how to go about making it happen. His advanced was of thinking were what made him
    great. It got him booted from his own company only to have him return and take Apple to a higher level than anyone could imagine. For me he was right up there
    with the other greats that I admire, Tesla, Beethoven and Einstein. We were able to witness a great genius a work and all of us have benefited from what
    he brought to the world.

RIP Mr. Jobs.

16. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Levy and Moss's words are epic here:
    http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/10/jobs/all/1
    http://allthingsd.com/20111005/the-steve-jobs-i-knew/
    Brian Lam grows up:
    http://thewirecutter.com/2011/10/steve-jobs-was-always-kind-to-me-or-regrets-of-an-asshole/
    (The idiots still at Gawker, however, remain douches, IMO)

17. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    Very sad news, but I think most of us knew it was coming very soon -- there was just no way he would have stepped down had his health not been in a free-fall. I have used Apple's products as long as I can remember. From making the Turtle move around the floor of the "computer lab" in elementary school, to the Apple IIe my parents bought for our home a few years later. When I went off to college, I used some money from graduation to buy an Apple Powerbook laptop with a greyscale screen (I thought it was amazing). When I started working professionally as a graphic designer, our graphics department was running on G3 towers, then G4 graphite towers (I bought one just like it for myself at home). Now I work for myself on a Mac Pro in my study, and I'm typing this post on HTF. In my life, I have only worked on Apple computers. I understand that the technical minds that have made all of these products work are still around and creating the next generation of computing, but the driving vision behind the technology is now gone. Hopefully his vision is so entrenched with those who have worked closely with him over the years that some of it will live on for at least 5 to 10 years, but I feel that, whether you love him or hate him and his company, the world has just lost a once-in-a-generation technological and creative force of nature.
    Godspeed, Steve.

18. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    President Barack Obama, on the passing of Steve Jobs:

Earlier this evening I had just finished watching Tuesday's iPhone keynote on my Apple TV. I pulled out my iPad and fired up the new Houston Chronicle app to check the news. As many have said, we knew this was probably coming, but still the lead item on Steve Jobs' death I read then was a visceral blow. The devices he envisioned and shepherded to life have become an indispensable part of my life, helping me to organize, create, and produce at a higher level than i ever had before - and allowing me to have fun doing it.

There have been many heartfelt tributes to Steve Jobs posted tonight, but I have to say this one by Andy Ihnatko affected me the most. Here's the link for those who haven't yet seen it:

http://ihnatko.com/2011/10/05/steve-jobs/

Thanks, Steve, for all that you gave us in your too brief life. R.I.P.

19. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I've never owned anything from Apple. I bought Amiga instead of Mac simply because I was a Commodore fan at the time... and Amiga also had color and a 2-button mouse. ;) But Jobs is still among the most inspiring people I've ever known of. I sincerely mean that. Really saddened that he lost that battle.

20. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Aside from all the amazing things Steve has achieved, as a lifelong computer professional, he has inspired me more than anyone I can think of and certainly has inspired many, many others.

I wrote my first lines of code on an Apple II computer and my latest, just an hour before the announcement of his passing on a MacBookPro. I found out about his passing reading Daring Fireball on my iPad...

A tribute from a close friend of 30 years that speaks for me:
    http://macindie.com/2011/10/and-that-day-has-now-come-steve-jobs-1955-2011/