Steve Carell is...Maxwell Smart !

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mike_S, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Mike_S

Mike_S Stunt Coordinator

My apologies if this is old news. Steve Carell, who played the dim witted weatherman, Brick Tamwell in Anchorman has been picked to star in GET SMART. After stealing every scene he was in during Anchorman, I think Carell will make a great Max. Can't wait to see it. It will be interesting to see who plays Agent 99. Sandra Bullock, perhaps?

-Mike

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Man, that is actually interesting news. His personality and schtick is perfect for that character. I just hope they put together a good comedy script to go with him.

Could and should be a fun film. (Crosses finger)

Bullock would fit that role, but being a bigger star might hurt the situation by putting the attention on the wrong character.

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I just hope this gets us the Get Smart TV show DVDs as soon as possible.

What's the planned release date/year for the movie?

4. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Does Hollywood know anything but remakes?! Im so sick of this trend.

Please forgive me if you think this is a thread crap. I have nothing against Get Smart but this is tiring. [​IMG]

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

This is the guy from Bruce Almighty, right? Evan Baxter? He'd be perfect for Maxwell Smart! Count me in as officially optimistic!

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Yup, that's the guy. And I agree, he's the perfect choice.

7. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

To answer my own question, this week's TV Guide lists this movie as planned for late 2005. If they start filming by spring, it is certainly possible.

8. LanieParker

LanieParker Supporting Actor

I most likely will not go and see the remake of Get Smart, but I do hope as someone else mentioned, that this gets us the show on dvd.

As for the guy who is going to play Maxwell Smart, I hated Anchorman, what a waste of film that was and the acting was atrocious, so I don't have very high hopes for the Get Smart movie.

9. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

Unless it gets the tv show out to DVD thorugh cross promotion I couldn't care less about any movie. Carell was funny on The Daily Show, so I guess he wouldn't be a terrible choice to play Maxwell Smart.

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

His work on The Daily Show was often very much in line with the Maxwell Smart humor as well. The guy is hilarious IMO and nails everything he does, especially the guy that thinks he knows more than he does and ends up looking silly.

I love when Steve and Steve did that Daily Show expose on drinking and Colbert watched Carell get drunk.

11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Maybe we'll get really lucky -- Maybe the movie will actually be good AND we'll get the show on DVD. The TV Guide blurb wasn't clear on this, but it suggested that the movie would be co-written by Mel Brooks.

12. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Probably get the tired old, Max still acts like he's back in the 60s storyline we've seen in how many TV movie adaptations? I really hope they treat this decently.

13. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Who'll play Chief? Laraby? Agent 13? Zegfried? [​IMG]

14. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

He is perfect for the role. I cant wait to see it.

15. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Carrell fans will be happy to knwow that he's starring in Judd Apatow's The 40-Year-Old Virgin, which is currently scheduled for release on August 19th. (And Catherine Keener is his co-star!)

16. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

The thing people don't take into account is that the whole appeal of a character like Maxwell Smart is that -- it's Don Adams! These old TV icons cannot be re-done because the actor playing them is very much the whole deal.

17. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

[​IMG] That was the first thing I thought of when I saw his name in the thread title, I am glad I have it recorded because it was classic. "Hit MEEEE!"
    He may indeed make a good Max.....but if the script and directing are mediocre (anyone remember The Nude Bomb?) even he can't save it so here's hoping that the whole production has their shtick together.

18. Stephen-R

Stephen-R Agent

Yes Steve Carell would be perfect as Max. He is one of the freshest underrated comedians out today. We have missed him so much on the Daily Show. The drinking with the other Steve was classic. I also thought of the time he covered the Anchorseat for Jon Stewart for a week. Then when Jon came back Steve didn't "want" to give up the "seat". You kept seeing Steve's head slipping into Jon's shot.

I just hope he has a good agent and doesn't let himself get overexposed and do stoopid movies like Jim Carey did.

I can also see and hear him quote the line from Get Smart: "Missed it by that much..."

19. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Resurrecting this thread with some disturbing news. According to this news item: http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archi..._orange_sp.php
    The producers of the new Get Smart Movie with Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway are trying to cheat Mel Brooks and Buck Henry from being paid for the film by saying they didn't create the show!

It's already disturbing enough that the folks at Warners chose not to consult the likes of Leonard Stern on the film, but to deny that Brooks and Henry created the show? Is there a more brazen example of corporate greed in the movie business?

At this point in their careers, these men should be celebrated, not denied credit for their work. It's an outrage.

BTW, the script for the movie isn't getting good reviews. There is a detailed synopsis and commentary here: http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/movie.html

20. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator