What's new

Steve Canyon (1958) (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Bob Hug said:
John, if my memory is correct, "Love that Bob" was the syndicated title for "The Bob Cummings Show." The show had around 170 episodes produced so I strongly suspect (without seeing the commercial) that what you are seeing is a commercial for the syndication run and not the first run series (which was not broadcast daily). Titles were often changed for syndication, especially when first run episodes were still being shown. For example, the classic 1950s "Dragnet" was known as "Badge 714" in syndication.
You're probably right. Trying to remember something from 50 years ago is real tough!!!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
John Sparks said:
You're probably right. Trying to remember something from 50 years ago is real tough!!!
That's the beauty of vintage TV-on-DVD releases . . . . . they bring back distant and faded memories into sharp focus.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Just bumping this thread in anticipation of Volume 2! Can't wait to watch the continuing adventures of Steve Canyon on this upcoming set.

Gary "hopefully we will see this by the end of the month at the latest" O.

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Hey Gary and everyone! I am doing my darndest, but things just keep dragging on...it appears that each set gets exponentially more difficult...but I can promise it will be worth the wait. The commentary tracks are really outstanding...and every time I've recorded one and think "this is the best one", the next tops it! A lot of juicy tidbits...and not just about Steve Canyon...many other period shows got mentioned...and there was a revelation about an aspect of the original Star Trek (from Canyon regular Bob Hoy) that...well, you'll just have to hear it for yourselves.

Having said this, I do apologise for the delay...but to paraphrase Orson Welles, "I will serve no whine before it's time"...or something like that. Thanks for y'alls kindness and support too.

Hopefully by the end of the month...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for the update, John. Your sets are so full of wonderful extras, I'm more than willing to wait. Volume 1 was topnotch and I know the next two will follow suite.

Take care and thanks for all the hard work!

Gary "anyone that hasn't taken the plunge on V. 1 needs to do so - it's a fantastic set and a fantastic show" O.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Jeff Willis said:
Great show! I've watched the first 2 episodes this weekend. I'm not normally a fan of seeing the original commercials included within the episodes. I prefer them as selectable choices in the menu, like the Naked City sets. But it's fun watching those ads from the late 50's time.
Jeff, I personally prefer the inserted commercials as it adds to the total nostalgic experience. Just wished they had more sponsors for more variety. Maybe other independent people/companies will pick up different shows and do the same? As mentioned, I would love to see "One Step Beyond" done right!
Eric

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
I forgot to mention that we now have a Steve Canyon TV Series page on Facebook here that we'd like to encourage people to join.
AND you can also follow our exploits on Twitter here ...
I'm also going to be in Dayton Ohio later this week at the National Aviation Hall of Fame's REELSTUFF film festival...on Thursday March 12th starting at 6pm (at Milton Caniff's old hangout THE ENGINEERS CLUB) there's a reception in my honor (gosh!) and then at 7:30pm my presentation and screening of OPERATION INTERCEPT, which is essentially the best Steve Canyon episode ever. There's also an update and info on the event on our blog here with a nice long clip (4:34) I just put up from the episode.
I'll be at the festival Thursday through Saturday, ready and willing to talk about Steve Canyon...and if you're there and ask nice, I might be cajoled into privately showing a thing or three from Volumes 2 and 3...
I hope to see some of you there!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I imagine that most of us that bought the V1 set received the e-mail from 'caniff-sales2' about the low pre-order #'s for V2. Here's some of the e-mail:
E-mail from the Estate of Milton Caniff said:
, we should be finished and shipping within the next few weeks, hopefully before the end of March (depending on how fast we get the discs back from the factory). Thanks again for your patience and we promise it will be well worth the wait.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for posting that Jeff. I got the same email and I'm glad that John Ellis and company took the time to let us know what's happening. I'd really like to encourage every one here that is a fan of vintage TV to go ahead and pre-order V.2. And if you are someone who hasn't even purchased the first volume yet, you really ought to give it a try. It's top notch in every way. And they have some incredible vintage commercials as well.

Gary "thanks again to John Ellis and the entire Canyon team!!!" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The labor of love that John has put into this project in which he is bringing back an all-but-lost piece of early television to us in a pristine quality that is almost unprecedented for shows of this type (if it isn't some very big title from that decade you can almost always forget seeing it released by drawing from the 35mm masters) IMO more than dictates the need to support his efforts by ordering this series, even if the cost for a whole season of episodes is higher than what we'd normally do for another title and even if we're not instinctively fans of this kind of program.

When I read about the struggles one goes through to make something like this available to the public because of their conscientiousness there are times I wish I was wealthy enough to be able to buy a hundred extra copies and donate them to libraries etc.

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Just a note to everyone here that things are progressing on Volume 2, and that there isn't anything "deadly" going on, just a whole bunch of little things that have slowed the process down.

I can say that the commentaries are terrific and I can't wait to hear the responses about them.

So have no fear, it's coming...and just as fast as we are able...

And a BIG THANKS to all who have helped spread the word...the pre-orders have been slow (probably the economy) and we need all the help we can get, especially right now.

Onward and upward!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Thanks for the update, John. We know you guys are doing the best you can and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, "THANK YOU!"

Gary "great to know this series is in loving hands and that it's being given the top notch treatment it deserves" O.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Really great show that is pretty unique in many ways - meaning that I have never seen anything like it before. I am really enjoying the first volume a lot, and the vintage commercials are fantastic. Everyone who enjoys vintage TV should pick this one up for sure.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
plus back in the 50s and 60s you would get 2 or 3 commercials then back to the show. Today you can get 7 or 8 before the show resumes. Geezz.

John Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Ellis
Just a heads-up to all of our friends here at HTF that The Complete Steve Canyon On TV Volume 2 DVD is (as of earlier today) now finally AND officially at the factory! I'll update here (and on our blog) as soon as the factory lets us know when they'll be done...
Sorry they are so late...It's not for lack of effort on our part...I can sum the issues up with one word: gremlins
'Nuff Said...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
John Ellis has updated the Steve Canyon blog, and we now have a firm shipping date for the 2nd Volume. It's coming May 15th! Great news!!
Gary "and he tells us V. 3 will definitely be coming later this year, so no worries on that front" O.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Wouldn't it be great if all of our favorite shows were treated with the kind of loving care that John Ellis has put into Steve Canyon.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Doug^Ch said:
Wouldn't it be great if all of our favorite shows were treated with the kind of loving care that John Ellis has put into Steve Canyon.
Don't you know it! John and the rest of the team have really done great work with this series. Goes to show what it means to have someone working on a dvd that actually cares about the show!
Gary "I hope everyone that can will go out and purchase this 2nd volume - it's going to be great" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Don't you know it! John and the rest of the team have really done great work with this series. Goes to show what it means to have someone working on a dvd that actually cares about the show!
Gary "I hope everyone that can will go out and purchase this 2nd volume - it's going to be great" O.
10-4, Gary. If only some of the major studios put out some feelers to get advocates' advice....I bet you can guess which studio/show :D
I'm looking forward to V2 of Canyon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks