What's new

Stereo speakers for parents... (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
One of my parents' vintage speakers has its woofer torn, so I was thinking of getting them a new pair of speakers. I'm looking at around the $300 (Canadian) for a good pair of stereo speakers. If there's something that is really good for a bit more, then I might spring for that, but I'd really like some suggestions. This is what I've found so far, so please feel free to comment on these as well (The speakers are going to be used for music most of the time):

JBL S38II - $299
KEF Cresta 10 - $350
Paradigm Titan - $248
Paradigm Focus - $344
Energy C1 - $400 (negotiable)
Infinity Alpha 20 - $399 (negotiable)
Athena ASB2 - $284

Thanks.

GregAV

Agent
If you bought the JBL S38's, I dont think you'd be dissapointed. You found a great price on them too. I spent $275US + shipping about a year ago and consider them worth every penny.

Greg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Do those Paradigm prices include tax? Seems quite high. I picked up shielded V3 Titans for a LOT less than that.

At this price point, I'd suggest Axiom M3ti ($275) or M22ti($400), Mordaunt Short 902 or 912 from Accessories for Less, and you will probably want to also consider the CBM-170 from Ascend.

AC4L is also now carrying NHTs, and the SB2 would be another good choice.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
We're talking Canadian prices here...if you found Paradigms for less than that, please let me know where...

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Alright, even though it's a stretch, I'm adding the Mirage Omni 50s to the list...I listened to them earlier today, and while I'm impressed, I don't know how "acceptable" their diffuseness is for music. Comments on this, I know it's something of a preference thing.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, missed the whole Canadian $ part, but I think I still got them about the same price USD$ here in Ca.

The JBLs will give you the most sound for the $$

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Drew,

AudioAdvisor.com has a great deal right now on the Mirage FRx-3 for $149.95 (US). List on these is stated as $350.00. It's a closeout deal, so if you're interested, I wouldn't wait too long. Check the posts here and on other sites -- it's a well regarded speaker. Also check with Marc at Audioshop in Ottawa (audioshopcanada.com). He has some great deals on Dahlquist speakers which have been getting great reviews in the audio press as well as right here at HTF.

Good luck,

Debbie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks