What's new

Stereo setup for home bar (1 Viewer)

garageman5

Auditioning
Real Name
John J Gold
Im trying to setup a stereo for my garage bar. Id like to have four speakers for this setup. Hanging enclosed cabinet would be my preference for sound reasons. I would also like to be able to hook the tv into this system. I already own an Onkyo surround receiver. The music will be on the loud side anywhere from Maceo Parker to Pantera. Anyone have any speaker,amplifier,subwoofer suggestions? BTW the bar area is 36x30 ft

garageman5

Auditioning
Real Name
John J Gold
The receiver is a TX-DS898. I thought since the main usage of the system will be for music, that 4 speakers were the prefered set up. I'm looking to stay under $2000. i also was wondering if putting a sub woofer in one of the walls was worth it, or if i should just go with bassier (if thats really a word) speakers?

garageman5

Auditioning
Real Name
John J Gold
I plan on hanging the speakers from the ceiling,so i don't know if that effects the placement. Two subs is doable, but would i be better to install them in the walls? I have two overhangs in the front that will be accessible,and i would be able to build whatever i need for them. The other thing is about the amplifier/equalizer. Is that going to make a huge difference when the music is going to be loud,or is it an unnecessary expense? I figured (possibly incorrectly) that putting the amp on the system would save my receiver from damage. Does anybody know if thats true?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I plan on hanging the speakers from the ceiling,so i don't know if that effects the placement.
You aren't going for critical listening are you? If not, placement isn't a huge issue. The recommendation above allows even disbursement of sound throughout the area. Are you in the market for conventional speakers (wood grain, looks like they belong in a living room) or pro audio speakers - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=245-802 ?
Two subs is doable, but would i be better to install them in the walls?
This is the second time you mentioned this and I still don't understand. Other than in-wall specific subs, how will you install them? And we don't ever recommend in-wall specific subs.
I have two overhangs in the front that will be accessible,and i would be able to build whatever i need for them.
Are you talking about building the enclosures? If so, you have my full attention.
The other thing is about the amplifier/equalizer. Is that going to make a huge difference when the music is going to be loud,or is it an unnecessary expense?
It depends. The local bar/restaurant I frequent uses a standard receiver to power their four speaker system and it gets moderately loud. With those PA speakers, it would get really loud with very little power.
I figured (possibly incorrectly) that putting the amp on the system would save my receiver from damage. Does anybody know if thats true?
Are you planning on driving low impedance loads? As long as you drive speaker loads in the acceptable range of the receiver and you provide adequate ventilation, you are fine to use just the receiver..

garageman5

Auditioning
Real Name
John J Gold
As far as the speakers go, Im looking for performance more than looks. The concern I have about the subs is that I don't want people turning them into bar stools nor tables for their drinks. I don't want to loose the performance of the subs so if I can't mount them in the wall with some kind of custom built cabinet, then I will just have to deal with the previous problems. Im am able to build anything else that i need because under my barroom is my wood shop,so thats not a problem. I don't know what critical sound is,or low impedance loads.

garageman5

Auditioning
Real Name
John J Gold
Also whats the deal with speakers that have 2 ground connectors and 2 positive connectors? Is this to hook up 2 different receivers to the same speakers?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
garageman5 said:
Also whats the deal with speakers that have 2 ground connectors and 2 positive connectors? Is this to hook up 2 different receivers to the same speakers?
This is for bi-amping.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
garageman5 said:
As far as the speakers go, Im looking for performance more than looks. The concern I have about the subs is that I don't want people turning them into bar stools nor tables for their drinks. I don't want to loose the performance of the subs so if I can't mount them in the wall with some kind of custom built cabinet, then I will just have to deal with the previous problems. Im am able to build anything else that i need because under my barroom is my wood shop,so thats not a problem. I don't know what critical sound is,or low impedance loads.
With the size of your room and the talk of performance, I'm thinking a sub like this - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=245-576 . Is this something you can mount on the wall?

garageman5

Auditioning
Real Name
John J Gold
would i need 2 of those? if those are not on the floor(hanging) would that affect the bass?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bi-amping is using 2 amp channels to power a single speaker. Most of the time, it is a waste to do it.
Moving the sub as small as 1" can impact the bass response. Since you aren't doing any critical listening then just put in some good PA speakers and a sub and crank it to 11.
Both links I gave are just 2 examples of hundreds or even thousands of choices that you have.

garageman5

Auditioning
Real Name
John J Gold
thanks. I think ill try the 4 PA speakers and a single sub for now. ill pre wire for a second sub just in case it becomes necessary.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are unsure about selections, then pick out a few things and post links here.
Musician's Friend and Guitar Center both have great prices for these types of items. Parts Express has good prices but excellent ones when they have a sale.

LindaSoen

Auditioning
Real Name
linda
I got some useful home theater products from best buy with the help of this link. Visit http://www.ezcouponsearch.com/Best-Buy-Coupons_cm_3065.aspx and enjoy your discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks