Stereo Receiver with Sub Capabilities

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matthew Will, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Matthew Will

Matthew Will Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    Blah blah blah im building an electronic drumset and I will need to play it through a stereo of some sort. Id like to use the Adire audio HE10.1 monitor kits and also hook up a 15" tempest to the system. Do I need to buy a surround receiver so it works with subs or are there stereo receivers that do have sub capabilities? Matt

2. Matthew Will

Oh and just so you know, I am a newbie so right now I haven't considered using an amp or preamp because for one, I couldnt tell you the difference between the two. This is probably a better option for me for this but how would that work? Im just trying to throw some things out there so I can have as many options to power these speakers as possible. Matt

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Matthew, you won't need a surround receiver because the sub output on the HT receivers are for LFE (Low frequency effects) which is information encoded on DVD discs. LFE is not the same as the bass content that you'll be using your drumset for. That said, all you need to do is run your speaker cables OUT from your speakers to the "high level filter inputs" (they look like speaker terminals on the back of your Plate Amp)and eventually out from your sub to the back of your stereo receiver. This will allow your speakers signal to pass through the subs crossover so that you can create a seamless blend between the speakers and the sub. Depending on your speaker and how low it is tuned will determine where you should START looking for a good crossover point. Let your ears be the final judge on this one.

Once you've connected the speakers cables coming from your speakers to the "high pass inputs" located on the rear of the sub, you then hook up and additional pair of speaker cables on the remaining speaker terminals located on the rear of the sub and these cables will go out from the sub to the receiver's speaker terminals for normal hookup.

So in short, you run your speaker cables from the speakers to the high pass input terminals located on the rear of the sub's plate amp. You then run a new set of cables out from the bottom set of terminals from the sub's plate amp to your receivers speaker terminal.

I hope I didn't confuse you and if you'd like a better photo of the high pass speaker terminals, when you hit the above "Plate Amp" link, look for another link that says "More Images" and this will give you a close up of the high pass input terminals.

Good Luck

4. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

I think the Harman Kardon Stereo Receivers have "sub Out" jacks.

Just use the crossover in the sub plate amp.

Regards

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Last year Denon sold a stereo receiver with a sub out.

LJ

6. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

8. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

To run the stereo output from a stereo receiver through the sub then to the speakers you DO NOT run wire from the speaker to the inputs on the sub! You run the stereo speaker output of the receiver to the sub's high level inputs on the sub then run wires from the outputs of the sub to the speakers themselves. If you ran the inputs of the sub out to the speakers you would get NO SOUND because the speakers are sending out a signal but the receiver is!

9. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

John is right, the two latest models of H/K stereo receivers both have a sub output. HK3375 and HK3475.

I like Sven's idea of using high level in and out on the sub though as most subs have an 80hz high pass filter on the high level output. That would protect the speakers from the heavy duty bass and ease the load on the receiver a bit to give a bit more headroom.

10. Craig_Kg

11. Matthew Will

Intercontinental ballistic missle? I'm still gettign my feet wet in home theater so full explanations are very welcome.

It would be great if I could avoid the external amplifier and mixer route since I have a Sony Stereo receiver I bought about a year ago, but since Im upgrading my home theater to surround I can use it for this project. Is the plate amp connection idea still supreme? Matt

12. Craig_Kg

[​IMG] The ICBM is an external bass management unit.
    The details are here. You can use it for just 2 channels.