What's new

Stephen King & Marvel: Dark Tower comics in 2006 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Since HTF doesn't have a dedicated book forum, I guess here will do.

Stephen King will produce an original 6-part miniseries based on his Dark Tower novels for Marvel, to be released starting April 2006 (later to be collected in a hardcover edition by the end of 2006).

More info: http://www.marvel.com/publishing/sto...tory.htm?id=51

Interviews with artists working on the project:

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/K...ing_marvel.htm

http://www.newsarama.com/JoeFridays/JoeFridays23.html

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/K..._DarkTower.htm

Official press release: http://www.stephenking.com/pages/news/dt_marvel

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably pick this up, I'm a huge DT fan (own all of the Grant HCs including the original versions of all books except DT1 which only had I believe a 10,000 print run--I own the 2nd ed Grant for that one).

I think the story could make for a great series of comics if they are done right and the artwork is good.

Brent T

Second Unit
Huge King fan here myself. Love the DT series ( own all first editions and all signed except the first) and I cant wait for this graphic novel.

From what I have read its going to take place around the time when Roland gets his guns (after DT4 Wizard & Glass). To me this could lend to some outstanding stories. I also read that there will be more series then just the 1st six issues this coming year.

All Hail the Crimson King !

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yes, apparently this will be first of several series of Dark Tower comics. Sounds very exciting to me as well. I too have all the Grant hardcovers, which are beautiful books. By the way, Grant will be publishing the revised edition of the first volume (as published by Viking), along with the novella "Little Sisters of Eluria", as well as new artwork. That should be interesting too.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
I wonder if this is successful enough, perhaps an animated motion picture might not be far behind? I always felt animation would be the way to go for this story, it's too big for real life actors and sets.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup: on the HBO multi-season series. You could probably split it like this:

Season 1: Book 1-3
Season 2: Book 4-5
Season 3: Book 6-7

Luckily this series won't need a ton of CGI/big budget special effects, what it does need HBO could probably cover in the budget.

Toughest part is casting The Gunslinger (and when the time comes, young Roland). Are there any young(ish) actors in the Clint Eastwood/Gary Cooper mold anymore?

Alfre Woodard would be a good Susannah but she's aging [just saw her on the new season of Desperate Housewives] so they better get this project off the ground if they're going to use her. Back in her early days she would have been perfect. If Hollywood were making this I'm sure they'd try to sign Halle Berry ;)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I dunno - I think I would rather see this on the big screen ala The Trilogy of the Rings. Give it the Peter Jackson treatment.

Good question on who to play lead characters. The part of Roland is pretty key to the success of the story. I keep trying to think of age appropriate actors who have enough of the badass in them. Do you guys think Keifer Sutherland could pull it off? I think it might be possible but I think I would also keep waiting for him to put a call into CSU.....;)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Greg, sorry. I don't know how I missed your thread. I guess it's because of my settings, as this forum is set to display topics from last two days. I didn't think anyone would be interested at all, in fact. We need a book forum here.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I do like the LoTR movies, but I feel they didn't do the novels justice. Focused too much on the action and not enough on the character interplay and other underlying themes (most movies do this to novels they are based on so this is not a criticism of Jackson & Co).

Making a long, multiseason type of show would give the director and actors room to breathe life into the characters, which are the strong points of The Dark Tower stories (and IMO LoTR as well).

And actually, I still haven't given up hope that someone will make a multi-season (or season-long) series for LoTR some day. LoTR I think could be done in a 1 hour long show, 26-27 show season (so about 18-20 hours on Network with commercials subtracted, or 26 hours on HBO with no commercials). If someone approached me to do the screenplay work for what I would want to see of LoTR, I'd say I needed at least 20 hours of screen time. Dark Tower is longer, so multi seasons are needed.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Somebody on The Dark Tower forums (www.thedarktower.net) actually posted an outline he or she did, which I believe took 3 or 4 seasons. I don't know if I can find that post again, it was a while ago, but it's definitely doable. And HBO doesn't lose anything. I'm sure it will be a huge success, as all HBO productions have been. With King's name attached to it (he could serve as producer, or even writer) it should have an even bigger success outside airing on HBO (DVD sales).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Spoiler if you haven't finished The Dark Tower:

It would be interesting if this series followed Roland AFTER reaching the top of the tower. In other words, it would be his next attempt at it, with the horn and some other slight differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks